1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Android phone infected with....?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by nixmith, Oct 2, 2018.

1. nixmith

nixmith Established commenter

I think I must have downloaded an app that's caused my phone to periodically throw up adverts.

Most often when I use wattsapp, however sometimes they just popup when I put in my passcode.

Full screen ads, some with sound, I have to find the little x to get rid & its getting annoying.

Early research by me just keeps leading to: back up contacts and do a reset.... however, I would rather avoid that.

Any I.T. people out there suggest a different solution?

P.S. It's a Samsung 6 edge, about two years old.

2. MrMedia

MrMedia Star commenter

Download AVG. you’ve definitely got a scam app that is parasiting onto WhatsApp. AVG will scan and remove the pop up app.

3. colpee

colpee Star commenter

Found this -must be worth a try:

There's a possibility these ads may be caused by a Google Play Store setting that's normally off by default but may have inadvertently been activated and is now causing this problem.

Open the Google Play Store app and then open the three-bar menu on the left side of the search bar. Select Settings > Notifications and make certain that the option for "Deals and Promotions" is NOT selected. As noted, this is a setting that is normally off by default, but sometimes something goes awry and it gets turned on.

4. nixmith

nixmith Established commenter

Thanks for the advice.

I have tried colpees one first and that 'deals promotios' was on. I am hoping that fix works - but if not I will try AVG.

Many thanks.

I will feedback tomorrow.

5. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

You can open in safe mode, go to the apps or downloads section and normally you will find the culprit there - just delete as normal.

The opening in safe mode for Samsungs is on youtube....along lines of pressing power button and volume for ten seconds.

6. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

I have the same phone (but not, as yet, the same problem). I'd try colpee's suggestion (post #3). Also go to Settings - then Notifications and go through the apps and block all notifications...

PS A quick search also showed this...might help: https://support.t-mobile.com/thread/141442

NB I have 'Avast Mobile Security' fitted, which is free.