1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Android Apps

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by School Boy Error, Jan 18, 2012.

1. School Boy Error

School Boy Error Occasional commenter

Any apps people would recommend for a Year 5 class / junior school?

2. Can't comment on the educational value nor on the classroom suitability of the following apps, but my own Y5 son has enjoyed them:

Google Maps is really great on an android tablet
    Google Sky Maps - not too useful during school hours I guess
    Unblock me - a logic type puzzle
    The Secret of Grisly Manor - adventure style game (not free)
    Find Differences

My son says that his Y5 teacher uses her android phone in the classroom as a portable spell / definition checker.

Kindle provide a free android app and you can download loads of samples of children's books for free (usually the first chapter). Good for an android tablet, but probably not for a phone.

I wrote a times tables app for improving speed called 'times tables xpress' - good for home use - available in the android market and it's free.

3. School Boy Error

Briliant, thanks. I look forward to trying them out.

4. There's some in the article on the back page of last week's ICT Guide - although many are primarily for a fruity platform, others are cross-platform or web based so can be used on android - sorry it doesn't seem to be online but I'll message you with my email address - if you get in touch that way I'll send you a copy....
    Jan

5. School Boy Error

Ah brilliant, ny email is McKee.c@we-learn.com

I'm really looking for something I can use as a markbook. So have a list of children's names, objective, then I touch the cell next to it to make it red amber or green. That would be really useful walking around