1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Andrew6 and the Festival of Education. Is this where and when Mr Gove will make an announcement. I have uploaded details of the Festival

Discussion in 'Religious Education' started by durgamata, Jun 13, 2011.

1. durgamata

durgamata Occasional commenter

Posted by: andrew61Isaiah 12/06/2011 at 17:20

Joined on 07/05/2011

Posts 10Report abuse

Sticking my neck out and having no evidence whatsoever, I have a suspicion that Michael Gove might use the 'festival of education' on 25th/26th June at the prestigous independent school Wellington college ( see http://www.festivalofeducation.org.uk/) as his venue for an announcment about the EBacc.
    I may be wrong, but he is certainly delivering a speech and will feel he is among friends ... It can't realistically be any later than that ... I feel like we've been waiting on tenderhooks forever...

Posted by: durgamata 13/06/2011 at 02:52

Joined on 17/12/2008

Posts 1,139Report abuse

Just spent an hour browsing the website for this event and copied the info onto a resource I am uploading. This comprises three files - one is the programme - one is general introduction, exhibitors info and the 150 speakers list (info and pictures) and the third is the festival blog.

I have booked to go both days. As an aspiring Educationalist and Consultant I don't think I can afford to miss it. Also I will do my best to send my Ebacc email to all the speakers too.

this is a battle. We have to fight it really seriously if we want to be there. I would like to prepare a leaflet about the RE Ebacc situation to give to delegates.

Along with my own business leaflets advertising my workshops and consultancy of course!

2. NoseyMatronType

NoseyMatronType Senior commenter

The Master of Wellington College is Anthony Seldon and I strongly suspect that Gove may be taking at least some cues from this chap and possibly even regards him as a kind of guru. Here's why:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-12935895
    So keep an eye on Seldon. I've known several people who have worked with this guy closely and what I heard from them was utterly at variance with the public profile he is cultivating in articles such as the above. But having said this, if he has changed his spots a little and the content of the above article is genuine (see especially sections 4 and 5) then his potential influence on Gove may be very much in our favour.
    As an aside, Seldon is on an advisory body connected with the controversial new university involving Grayling, Dawkins, Singer et. al.
    In fact, if questions are invited in any kind of Forum at which both Seldon and Gove are present, you could ask Seldon what he feels about the exclusion of RE/RS from the EBacc given his preoccupation with Eastern & Western philosophy and his promotion of the importance of 'happiness'. From the Wiki:
    In 2006, Professor Seldon introduced Happiness Classes (or positive psychology) to Wellington College because he wanted pupils to focus both positive and negative emotions in a constructive and healthy way. The classes run weekly for those in the 14 - 16 age bracket. The classes offer skills on how to manage relationships, physical and mental health as well as how to achieve ambitions. They are taken by the college's religious education staff, headed by Ian Morris. Professor Seldon, says the lessons would complement rather than replace religion and are proving to be popular.
    Seldon is also the author of several books. Type his name into Amazon and you'll see what comes up.
    Lastly, I have posted this before but I strongly believe that the philosophical element in RE/RS is vital in the boosting of attainment. And here's some of that hard, number-crunched data that politicians have such a liking for to support that view:
    http://stephenlaw.blogspot.com/2011/03/why-philosophy-degrees-are-among-most.html
    Hope this helps and please let us know how you get on. If you get time to draft a leaflet, why not post it here first to invite comments?