1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Andrew Brodie: Spelling for Literacy

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Mrspinkshoes, Jul 9, 2011.

1. Does anyone use the Andrew Brodie books for spelling?

I was just wondering how people use them in class particularly Years 1 and 2. We have bought Spelling for Literacy and I was thinking about a whole class input using the flashcards followed by adult led group work to do the sheets. Then the flashcards to go on a working wall. Sounds simple albeit dull!

Do you do a discreet spelling session weekly?

Any ideas?

2. cinnamonsquare

cinnamonsquare Occasional commenter

I use the Andrew Brodie books.

I use the flashcards for whole class input, and they go on word wall or VCOP board throughout the week. I find the sheets are very easy and if I use them at all it's with the lower ability group. However, more often than not, my lower ability are still learning 200 HFW, so have different spellings to learn.

I have a spellings activities box with cards in. Groups choose a card and there's an activity on that will help learn their spellings, usually disguised as a game or fun activity so they don't realise it's work. E.g. Create a crossword with your spellings, draw a comic strip and use at least 5 of your spelling words in it, make an advertisement/poster and use your spelling words to promote/sell the product, make a card game of snap using your spellings etc. As the year goes on, the children create their own activity cards and add them to the tub, so they don't get completely bored with the same old stuff every week.

The children enjoy the activity and it gets them to write the spellings lots of times in a more interesting way than Look, Say, cover, write, check. Although, I send a LSCWC sheet home for them to practise the spellings every day throughout the week.

3. Thank you! Love the idea of the spelling activities box, especially for my high ability and gifted and talented pupils. I have loads of resources in my room like magnetic letters, foam letters, unifix with letters on for the lower ability to make the words with. They can write them in the sand too! Thanks so much.