1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

... and yet another attempt to paint teaching in London as fabulous ....

Discussion in 'Education news' started by binaryhex, May 21, 2018.

1. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

why would I?

I just search through the subject filter.

Like I said, I think you are searching wrong.

My experience is not the same as yours.

I'm leaving this thread, there is only so many times I can say it.

I see no issue what so ever with over 50s finding jobs.

Like any job hunter they need to be flexible, but there are literally hundreds of vacancies across London, and no reason what so ever why anyone would be discriminating against over 50s, and no evidence that they are.

There are many many over 50s who have left teaching and don't want to return, their privilege.

but you are describing a city the exact opposite of what I am experiencing every day. You tell me to do a search to show it, I did a search, you want me to do it differently so I get less results??? it makes no sense, I searched science teaching jobs, I found over 50 within 50 miles of my school.

You want me to limit it by adding key words or something? why? I wouldn't do that if I was looking for a job, why would I do it if I am showing how many jobs I could apply for if I were looking for a job?

Like I keep saying, I think you are searching wrong.

You are certainly EXTREMELY fussy about the type of job you want, to such an extent that I would never have worked in my life if I applied your criteria.

So I have never been out of work for a single day, and you can't find work.

Nothing to do with age.

2. catbefriender

catbefriender Established commenter

Sounds about right. 50 jobs in 50 miles. I can concur with that.:D

And please do not fall into the category of believing that self employment is not working. I do work, and I do pay taxes, but fortunately, I don't work directly for a school and I have lost a considerable amount of weight as a result, to which I am grateful.

The people in teaching stress me out a lot and I responded to that by overeating. I no longer feel the need to do this and this is a positive thing.

I reiterate, not being able to find paying work in school is a blessing and one I thank the Lord for. The greatest gift of being out of classroom teaching is not having to work under SLTs like you who categorically refuse to see reason.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2018
  3. simonCOAL

simonCOAL Occasional commenter

WHOA!!! Kudos!

Now, just think... if you were a Z list celeb you could have made a video about how you did it, 'written' a book, made a vlog and got a small fortune for that!

And got onto Celebrity Love Island.

That beats teaching (I think).

Seriously @catbefriender , that's remarkable. :):D

I'll let you get back to the other stuff now.

4. catbefriender

It is EXTREMELY remarkable because I have a disability and it was very painful. For an able bodied person under 30, absolutely no big deal, but for a woman in her 50s with a debilitating disability - A VERY BIG DEAL. And the problem is, the disability, and problems with movement caused by the excessive weight gain caused by the bulling, PLUS the bullying by SLTs.

My weight loss journey in 15 months has motivated others. I only saw another women with my condition do it in 3 years. If you are prepared to go through the pain and suffer what feels like daily starvation, you can achieve anything and what is more, the weight gain has substantially improved my health and well being and taken me well away from the serious threat of Type II Diabetes, which with my current disability, would have taken me down the road of inability to work and possibly serious heart conditions.

I salute myself and regard losing 4 stones as a disabled woman in her 50s, one of my greatest achievements. Even greater than being a State qualified teacher.

Too many people give up. Not Cat, Cat's a fighter.;):)

BTW, there are easier ways to lose weight, by eating a bit more and taking it slower - it does not have to be torture. It was harder when I started and easier after 2-3 months. But I like setting myself annual goals and achieving them. I fell short of my goal of losing 4 stones in a year, but I got there 3 months later. Life must be seen a movement towards something positive.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2018
  5. drvs

drvs Star commenter

Have I missed an important contextual point to your argument? Rumour has it that there is actually a national shortage of teachers at the moment with many vacancies either unfilled or inappropriately filled.

6. catbefriender

You and your pals can keep up the fight of perpetuating the myth of the national shortage of teachers
    and keep working hard to get those teachers struggling to get jobs feel as though they are useless and it is ALL their fault and discriminatory factors do not exist in any shape or form
    and keep working hard to try and encourage those who have given up, to change their course and keep trying and trying and failing and failing.

Whilst I glide off into the beautiful sunset to do something far more fulfilling and rewarding, both emotionally and financially, well outside of the confines of mindsets that imprison others.

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power.
    - Abraham Lincoln

7. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

that's just a typo, 50 within 5 miles, obviously

8. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Established commenter

If I agreed to work for nothing, or to accept a full beaching role for £8 - 10 per hour, contact time only, I would have to clone myself with all the job offers I get. My stumbling block is wanting to paid for what I do.

9. drvs

drvs Star commenter

Wow.

10. catbefriender

Yet you DIDN'T place ANYTHING in the Job Title Keyword section although you keep on saying you did a General Science search.

For the record, how can you do a General Science search without putting anything in the Job Title Keyword section on TES Jobs? On the screenshot you so kindly shared with us, there is NOTHING in the search engine. Does it involve some kind of mystical ability? Pray teach us all so we can all learn.

11. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

I searched for science in the subject filter.

That is how to search for science

As I keep saying, I genuinely think you are searching wrong.

why would you put " general science" in the key word section? how many job adverts are going to contain the words "general science"? almost none.

I don't really know what the key word section is for, but it might be for things like "BTEC" or "UCAS" or something, I don't know.

its not what you use for a search based on a subject, though

12. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Out of curiosity I just did a search of Science jobs from the TEA jobs site.

I did a search for Science jobs around Uxbridge in London - range 10 miles

33 jobs came up

Of those about 8 are for COMPUTER SCIENCE

2 are for SOCIAL SCIENCE

another 3 or 4 are for SCIENCE TECHNICIAN jobs

There are less than 500 Science jobs available THROUGHOUT THE WHOLE COUNTRY

So there really cannot be 50 Science TEACHER Jobs within 5 miles of you can there ?

13. catbefriender

14. catbefriender

15. catbefriender

Can't cut and paste what I wanted but thanks @peakster for concurring what I and @Jolly_Roger15 have been saying. So you found 20 Science jobs in a 10 mile radius? That doesn't scream massive teacher recruitment crisis to me.

16. catbefriender

In law there is a general premise that if whoever, the appellant, complainant, witness etc if giving evidence/making a statement, if ONE element of the statement is PROVED incorrect, then anything else that is stated could also be considered incorrect.

17. catbefriender

18. woollani

woollani Occasional commenter

Oh dear me. I still wonder, as you claim to be over 50, why you have not heard of Mary Whitehouse. Seems suspicious to me.

19. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Established commenter

Mary Whitehouse is someone you can never forget. She wore those strange dresses with geometric patterns on them, which always reminded me of the Thermos flasks you could get, in Timothy Whites. I much preferred the eponymous 'gentlemen's' magazine.

@peakster : Thank you trying a similar search to mine. Not that many jobs, eh!

20. catbefriender

@Jolly_Roger15 it seems @peakster has saved the day.

Because Peakster is a teacher, who currently teaches in schools and obviously KNOWS how to do a proper Jobsearch on TES, what he says has to be right.

Remember, on this website some teachers believe

a. self employed equates to unemployed and
    b. once you are no longer a classroom teacher, you are relegated to the status of subhuman.

PS: Mary Whitehouse - unfortunately unforgettable :oops:

woollani likes this.