1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

And when will the rooster crow?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by nomad, Nov 23, 2018.

1. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Theresa May has refused to confirm whether she would resign if her Brexit deal is rejected by MPs, as she insisted that it was the "the best deal for the UK."

In an interview with BBC Radio 5 Live, Mrs May was asked three times if she would stand down but refused to provide an answer.

We wait...

slingshotsally likes this.
  2. emerald52

emerald52 Star commenter

Bated breath here.

3. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

I reckon she knows she's had it career-wise which ever way it goes, so now she's got nothing left to lose.

FormosaRed likes this.
  4. eleanorms

eleanorms Occasional commenter

No matter whether you are bad or good, I kind of think that after being a Prime Minster, President etc etc of anywhere you pretty much have always had it career wise. I mean, what other ambitions are you supposed to have?

5. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

Then again she might just pull it off and in a few years time when we are in the glorious uplands of the Second Empire, she'll displace Winston and Maggie combined in the national psyche... maybe.

6. peakster

peakster Star commenter

To not be remembered as a cowardly Sc***ag like Cameron

7. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

I'm not so sure. JRM failed to get the letters required for a vote of no confidence. She's got the majority of EU countries backing her deal. Only Spain is opposing it; and that won't be going anywhere.

Although it's unlikely she'll get her deal through parliament, there's very few Tory MPs who'd want an early election, because they ain't got a lot going for them at the moment.

When May's deal fails in parliament, as it surely must, parliament will support a second referendum. As florian keeps reminding us, there isn't time for that, under the terms of Article 50, but since it's never previously been enacted, nobody knows whether an extension on time is legally possible.

I'll tell you this for nothing.

The EU has demonstrated it wants to continue doing business with the UK on pretty much the same terms as it has done, albeit they've had to negotiate a leaving deal for that. You can be as sure as eggs is eggs, the leaders of every EU nation would pull together to ensure an extension on time is granted.

The hard-line Brexit MPs have shown themselves up to be complete clowns.

UKIP has shot itself in the foot, by taking on a fascist as an adviser and will now be ridiculed in any second referendum debate.

If there is a second referendum, every lie the Brexit campaign made will get forensically scrutinised to show how ridiculous the lies were.

As May said in her speech in parliament, the British people have had enough of the division and want to see something happen to stop it, so the deal she proposed ought to be welcomed. Except it won't be accepted by parliament.

The only solution now that will work for everyone is a second referendum, where people see sense, as it looks like they are likely to. The result of a second referendum is almost certainly going to be calling an end to the idiocy, and we'll all live happily ever after.

With a bit of luck, they'll invite Boris, Farage and all the other jokers in the pack onto Desert Island Discs to talk about their pointless existences, then get smuggled away from the BBC studio to a desert island with their records, book and bible. Maybe if the BBC is kind enough, it will slip in a pamphlet of how to make rope; and how a waste of a skin can hang himself with it.

Mainwaring and MAGAorMIGA like this.
  8. Jude Fawley

Jude Fawley Star commenter

We're now seeing how difficult it is to untangle ourselves from the tentacles of the EU.

Imagine we'd stayed longer!

We will leave and then we'll start sorting out all the other stuff that needs dealing with to regain our status as an independent country.

Some people have a slave mentality and can't appreciate what it is to live in a country where the buck stops with recognisable and accountable officials.

Not long now and we'll be out for good.

The EU is a failed project.

9. Photo51

Photo51 Established commenter

Only if May decides to do a u turn and propose a referendum to be held in June.
    The government cannot ask for that without an act of Parliament to amend the withdrawal act.
    But all that will happen after 29/03.

10. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

Duke, I'd love to believe you, and I'd hope you're right.
    But, I have this ghastly feeling that if it went to a second referendum the outcome would be much the same.
    People made up their minds, and whatever theyare now told, few will change their minds.
    Hopefully, those people who didn't vote before would do (especially younger people) amd some of the older ones will have shuffled off this mortal coil, but not enough to make a decisive difference.

I hope I'm wrong...

needabreak likes this.
  11. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

I for one think you are right, we think the way we think but cannot assume others do the same and election results time after time are an accurate reflection of that.

12. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

Of the five possible scenarios following a no vote in parliament, I think a second referendum is the least likely. The most likely is that the government (following EU precedent) will ask parliament to vote again, having witnessed the likely result of their no vote (markets crashing, UK businesses rising up against politicians etc). Theresa May be able to get the EU to sweeten the political declaration a little to help.

But it's not just the lack of time and (as Photo51 said), the need for an act of Parliament to amend the withdrawal act. Consider also:

There is no political will for a second referendum. The government is implacably opposed, not least because it was the Tories who promoted the 2016 referendum as a "once in a lifetime" opportunity. Corbyn has said that now is not the right time for another referendum. Diane Abbott yesterday told the BBC that in a second referendum "not only would Leave win again but Leave voters would say: 'What didn't you understand about Leave the first time?'". There are nowhere near enough MPs in favour of a second referendum.

The additional 6 months or so needed to organise a second referendum would have to be agreed by all EU member states. This would be the ideal opportunity for Spain (which has no veto tomorrow) to veto any extension unless it got its way over Gibraltar.

The EU itself would be very reluctant to grant an extension because it would mean straddling the EU Parliamentary elections in May. The UK's seats have already been re-allocated, and it would be legally complex to undo this if Britain wanted to stay in the EU until the summer.

So, for all of those reasons, I think a second referendum is as much a dead duck as ever. It would have had to be got under way a year ago for it to be possible. The window of opportunity is now shut.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2018
  13. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I doubt it - people have seen what the last two years have brought - they want to do it all again ?

May wants it to be seen as her deal or no deal - there are other options available.

All this trucking back and to from London to Brussels is more about securing her a bit of a positive legacy. In all other respects it is a waste of time and effort.

monicabilongame likes this.
  14. Geoff Thomas

Geoff Thomas Star commenter

It doesn't need anybody to have changed their minds (although the impression I am getting is that there has been some shift from Leave to Remain).

Half of the Leave majority has died and the other half has been replaced by young people who have become eligible to vote since 2016.

15. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

Yet more demagoguery from EU quislings.

The people voted, so, unless you want more of the same we should leave. We should write off the 40 odd wasted years as a lesson in how to destroy a democracy and rebuild our country as a truly independent nation.

FormosaRed and nizebaby like this.
  16. peakster

peakster Star commenter

More of the same what exactly ?

May's deal is worse than what we have now - it simply makes no sense.

You're a nutter - plain and simple.

Geoff Thomas and monicabilongame like this.
  17. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Build an independent nation.

Like North Korea you mean ?

monicabilongame likes this.
  18. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

And people who voted remain in 2016 have become older (and wiser?) and are now likely to join the preference among those aged 45 and above to vote leave. But the deciding factor is likely to be what has been offered by the EU. It is likely to cause some to change their mind as they realise that a good offer has been made. As Diane Abbott said yesterday, another referendum would probably produce another leave vote.

19. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

You need a slap and I am willing to oblige at any time.

20. peakster

peakster Star commenter

You're a violent nutter - the worst kind.

Geoff Thomas and monicabilongame like this.