1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

And we’re back...is it going to be good?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by red_observer, Jan 7, 2019.

1. red_observer

red_observer Star commenter

so far no!! Dark dark morning but at least it’s not cold... and it is getting lighter!

Have a good day everyone... working or not!

2. Timothy_Blue

Timothy_Blue Lead commenter

Good luck. I can't see things ever improving though.

3. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

Good luck. I'm well out if it all now. Hope the term goes well!

Jamvic, nizebaby and (deleted member) like this.
  4. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

Good luck to all of you still teaching.
    I remember when I loved my job because every day was new and different. More recent memories are not so good. I cannot imagine stepping into a classroom today.

5. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

And that's not because of the children.

yodaami2, BetterNow, InkyP and 3 others like this.
  6. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

I'm back to the charity shop and to choir and husband takes up his meetings again so it feels like the end of the holidays here too. The element of choice makes all the difference. These pages have been relatively busy over the holidays so I shall miss the chat. Thinking of you all.

7. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

I always thought this was the hardest term, dark starts and finishes still without Christmas to look forwards to any more. No honeymoon period like you get in September, straight into it from day 1. Often lots of coursework to complete and all the running around after recalcitrants who did their best to avoid it where possible.

If the clocks went forwards the same time after the shortest day as they do before, they would change in February which would help, but for some reason it happens a month later.

I don't miss it.

I hope you all have some good classes you enjoy.

8. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

I'm just glad I'm off this year.
    Counting the days!

9. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Star commenter

I had to phone in sick. Not recovered from post Christmas lurgy.

1 person likes this.
  10. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Same here. It's a bit strange to think it's the last time I do this or that and booking holidays in late August seem very odd.

1 person likes this.
  11. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

When I taught (in secondary and retired back last May) I always thought that once Christmas was out of the way then it was downhill to the end of the school year. I taught a lot of exam groups so by this time of the year there are only about 20 weeks until study leave starts at Whitsun. Take out a week for the February half term and two weeks for Easter and other odd weeks for mock exams and that only leaves about 16 or 17 weeks of school left for the exam groups.

This revelation seemed to take many students by surprise as May/June still seem an unbelievably long time away for them but those weeks soon fly by. When the exam groups have gone then there's 6 or 7 weeks on a reduced timetable but planning and stuff needs to be done for the new academic year.

The days are still dark but getting lighter, the warmer weather will soon be here and you can start planning this year's holiday. With the decorations down and stowed away you can get back to a normal routine and you don't have to hear those ghastly carols and Christmas songs for another 11 months.

January is a time I like, a time for renewal and a new year stretching out in front of us.

Mermaid7 and (deleted member) like this.
  12. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

I thought you were finishing last year Belle. Change of plans?

13. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

In my final year I mentioned a few things I would be doing for the last time and was very gently told off by a fellow Tesser pointing out that it might be taken that I could be rubbing others' noses in it. However, as you suggest, it is nice to go on holiday during term time without all the kids around and invariably, a little voice popping up with, 'Hello Mr Shedman!'

14. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Why would you worry about rubbing other, working, TESsers noses in it?

15. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

These forums are my social life! The people who post on here are my friends and that's only because they don't really know me, just my online Mr Shedman persona and even that's a bit suspect at times. In real life I'm a real Billy no-mates. Apart from my choir, badminton and swimming chums, I have no friends.

If I start antagonising fellow Tessers I'll start getting abusive posts and then people will hate me and not give me likes - er...they've done that already so...Yeah! I remember my very last parents' evening. It was good not to have anymore of that old rubbish. Oh how I laughed when I'd marked my last book and I felt so smug at the end of my very last staff meeting.....ad nauseum

16. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

I appreciate I was in the minority, but I always liked the first term more than the second. Easter floating around unpredictably didn't help either.

17. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

You're doing better than I am.
    I wouldn't worry too much about those with a sense of humour by-pass. If you do make an inadvertent personal remark then, by all means, apologise for it but general rubbing of noses should be par for the course.

Shedman likes this.
  18. red_observer

red_observer Star commenter

Didn’t enjoy today much...

19. lrw22

lrw22 Senior commenter

I think Christmas is the hardest holiday to return after. It's done now though and feel much happier than I did this time yesterday.

Shedman likes this.
  20. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

For me, January is the armpit of the year. All the decorations are down, outside house lights are gone and opening the curtains is the last job before leaving for work and closing them is the first job on returning home, :( The kids are tired and crotchety, the older ones facing exams and wondering how to rectify the mess-ups they made in their mocks.