1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

And time to panic part 2...

Discussion in 'Primary' started by icklekid, Jun 9, 2012.

1. Don't want to be negative but if year 2 teachers at my school had little written work i would be concerned? They are in for a shock at ks2! Maybe I'm misinterpreting what your saying...it doesn't have to be boring but children should be developing a love of writing!

2. Msz

Msz Established commenter

I think Minnie is talking about recording practical maths activities not writing (unless I've misunderstood)

3. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

They do have a love of writing in the sense of composition. Would write pages and pages all flippin day if I let them!

But Msz is right, it is the written maths we don't have so much of. Lots of wb work and wipeclean numberlines, play based activities, drama based maths, active learning and all that makes for higher levels and more engaged children, but not a lot of 'evidence'!

4. Digi cameras can be a god-send in collecting that sort of evidence . . just wazz in the book with the LO and whether achieved. (Very FSP actually!)

5. Msz

Msz Established commenter

We recently invited in an ex OFSTED inspector to advise and she said the occasional picture or print out if you've used ICT stuck in some books but not all and not to do this for every lesson so it doesn't get onerous

6. I agree and also that a photo of something most of the time isn't evidence of it being 'got', rather evidence of an activity being done. I wouldn't want to have to keep taking lots of photos, printing and sticking in books unless it really was lovely evidence of someone actually 'getting' something.
    Minnie, I am sure you will be fine. I would have much the same in terms of evidence (minus the annotated plans as I tend to lose mine as I progress through the week and have to keep reprinting it!). It's so important to do the practical maths, which will end up with less in books. I would be more worried if it was just all in the books!

7. Absolutely Msz.. . It's not the only answer. Kids could also draw representations of their maths . . can often reveal a lot about how they solved or sorted the problem. As I believe you've inherited this class, Minnie, I'm sure you'll be flying for next year x

8. And I wasn't for a minute suggesting that you begin to create a learning journal of all your fab experiences. Hell no. A few don't hurt though, and it does the children a great deal of good to look back at them and reflect on the learning that may have otherwise been forgotten.

9. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Actually I have a short video of them doing the 'five times table jive' with some of the 'chosen' children showing they know the words without looking. I could show that???? :)

I have had this class all year, but no real clue what is normal and not normal in KS1. I seem to have done more and have more than any of KS2 and in some ways more than year 1, but it still isn't enough. Not sure how I could have figured out what to do and how to do it all by myself. Moderation meetings of this kind should be in September/October time...then people like me would have a good idea of what to do all year.

Thank you all.

10. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

When I taught year 2 I made a large class "Big Book of Maths" It had the objective at the top of a page ( made from A2 sized sugar paper) and a photo/evidence of each group/activity from the lesson. As we worked our way through the curriculum, we added additional pages. When we revisited an objective, we could look back at the work we had done the previous time and refresh our memories before working from there. I took it to moderation with me and used it to show the differentiation in each lesson for the objectives. It was easier and more useful to me than individual learning journeys or photos in books.

11. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I have those for science, CarrieV. They are stored in the book corner and children love reading them.

Not sure I would use them for evidence of learning. Evidence of coverage, yes and of a range of learning activities.

But I might adapt it for topic learning journeys...

12. Minnie you will be fine. I have taught year 2 for three years and now am enjoying year 1. You have been through the hardest part of moderation and this will be a gathering ideas session. I do agree though that there are so many people new to year 2 each year there should be training earlier in the year. Those of us that have taught maths practically do the children have secure understanding always fall into the not enough evidence category. I got round this by doing practical activities with a photo and then one session where they did the practical and recorded in books. As a previous teacher of year 3 you hope children will have the skills to start accessing the ks2 curriculum.