1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

And this is why we all need one strong union...

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by Mrsmumbles, Dec 1, 2015.

1. Mrsmumbles

Mrsmumbles Star commenter

http://www.theguardian.com/politics...y-hunt-announces-potential-agreement-with-bma
    We have great teaching unions, but too many. Junior doctors are all in the BMA. They have now forced that bully Hunt to climb down. Teachers must surely now all be union members, and opt for ONE which has real teeth, some permanent staff, and media-savvy, articulate spokesmen who will promote our cause. Because look what can be achieved with a strong and unwavering union like the BMA! We really could and should do better! Time to consolidate as divided, we are falling, quitting a denigrated profession, burning out, and losing. Let's stop this.

2. Weald56

Weald56 Established commenter

One main Union in Scotland, I believe.

Mrsmumbles likes this.
  3. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

Absolutely!!!

I was a fully paid up member of a union for 44 years, from just before my first teaching practice in 1971. When I needed them, I was presented with an area chap who proceeded to clash horns with my HT and my case/cause seemed of secondary importance.
    Get rid or amalgamate! personally, I'd prefer a new start.

Mrsmumbles likes this.
  4. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

ATL & NUT seem to be doing stuff together quite a lot.....

5. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Star commenter

The reason we have more than one union is that teachers couldn't agree on this in the first place. The best you can hope for is that some unions work together with others now and again but you'll always get a difference of opinion which may cause non-agreement. The last NUT (but not NASUWT) strike is a case in point.

6. drek

drek Star commenter

But a doctor becomes a Doctor after having undertaken 7-9 years serious study, and on average is far more intellectually intelligent as a result, than most teachers, some with pseudo masters in education, some after having failed GCSEs or with a load of dubious 'distinction' BTECs under their belt at uni.
    As such one lot understand and know their worth to the nation, the other lot, whilst emotionally intelligent, are constantly battling to prove how much better than others they are in a job, that cannot possibly be measured, no matter how much you stand and stare at it. I was listening to an NQT mentor the other day talking to a trainee about 'timescales' for improvement and where they should be, in a school notorious for having no applicants for teachers, but loads and loads of applicants for managerial roles, you get what I mean?
    Most often the people being pushed out of teaching are those with degrees under their belt.
    The ones left behind or promoted to managers, are those who are concentrating on clinging on with their nails, often struggling to teach the subject, but incredibly good at putting on an ofsted show lesson, as such, by definition teachers are always going to be on the bottom of the 'Maslow pyramid'.
    Unless we have union leaders who fight for our professional rights, in spite of ourselves, it will never change.
    Colonialism, slavery etc were 'words' to describe successful ideologies. People caught up in it were made to feel so honoured to be left alive, as the punishment for trying to escape was death or worse, and some were much better taken care off than others, to keep the majority of the lower ranks in line, and bring dissenters to the notice of the owners, so that getting a movement together took 100's of years, and often took outsiders to notice that something was not right!

Last edited: Dec 2, 2015
    Mrsmumbles likes this.
  7. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

It has long been that if it wasn't bad enough that politics, pay carrots and illusions of power wasn't enough to divide teachers, then they surmountable divide themselves.

Indeed… the example of the junior doctors unified professional representative body and it's power of presence when needed is telling.

8. rosievoice

rosievoice Star commenter

You will never unite all teachers under one union umbrella (as exists with BMA or FBU). Six teachers could look out of the staffroom window and not two of them would agree that it was raining. There should be one teaching union, and membership should be compulsory.

Mrsmumbles and JohnJCazorla like this.
  9. JohnJCazorla

Then the ingrates would b****r up that union by refusing to go along with any collective decisions made

10. JohnJCazorla

Anyway there was a compulsory 'union' remember the GTC. Anyone care to reflect on that successful attempt to unite teachers?

Mrsmumbles likes this.
  11. Mrsmumbles

I'd be happy with them merging. Both have good qualities. The current situation is failing teachers.

12. Mrsmumbles

Surely they could set up the Union constitution to force majority rule? The main role of a twenty first century teaching union is to protect staff from pointless set up performance improvement plans, bullying in the name of 'support', poor working conditions, and job cuts. If we don't sort this soon, the profession will change forever and we won't be able to regain it.

13. Mrsmumbles

Although back then maybe there was less of an urgent need to stand united against a government that is hellbent on destroying teaching and wants to get the youngest cheapest and most exploitable staff it can?

14. Mrsmumbles

Agreed! Teachers can be their own worst enemy, the dozy sheep from Orwell's 'Animal Farm'! It should be compulsory, like voting, I feel. Teachers do disagree a lot. Thing is, if we don't get unity to defend our basic working pay and conditions, we will soon not have jobs worth doing to have those disagreements in! God help us all.

Schoolbird likes this.
  15. Mrsmumbles

Bleak but true. And lots of medics are married to teachers. We know what the ******** score is now, and things are getting worse very quickly. Daily Wail teacher bashing headlines, irate parents refusing to consider WHY teachers may be angry, melting down, or forced out...mumsnet commentators showing a woeful ignorance of school capability bullying and Gove's vile legacy. It's so obvious that Gove, Morgan and Hunt compare notes! It's as much a media war now as well as a clash of ideologies. There will always be silly members in any profession. There must be a way of forcing better uniform solidarity though, surely? Actually, as teachers, we have the potential to cause a lot more disruption, as parents will need to take time off work, childcare costs rise...it would get ugly. I think there should be a compulsory union membership for all non managerial teaching staff, and a different one for them, with a few highly trained union reps who lease between both groups and maybe work with ACAS as well.