1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

And then came cancer

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by ilovepoppies, Apr 29, 2017.

1. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

Oh, no....

Biggest hugs :(

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  2. GLsghost

GLsghost Star commenter

To all of you who give blood, thank you.

If you've never done it, perhaps now is the time to think about it.

Major crisis yesterday and I was very ill. Two units of red cells and another of platelets helped to save my life.

3. marlin

marlin Star commenter

What an awful time for you GL. Thinking of you and thankful that the treatment yesterday was life-saving. xxx

(I was a blood donor, but asked to stop as unfortunately my body didn't cope very well with it. MrM has given many pints of his.)

guinnesspuss and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  4. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Yes blood donors do a sterling job and we're all thankful that someone's donation helped you yesterday.

That sound very frightening. If virtual wishes for health could help you know you'd be cured tomorrow don't you! ;) Unfortunately real life isn't quite so easy, so we're all hoping you have as easy a time as possible.

guinnesspuss and sabrinakat like this.
  5. rosievoice

rosievoice Star commenter

I'm so sorry to hear you needed red cells and platelets, GL, but am glad that they were there for you. Thank God for donors. xxx

6. lizziescat

lizziescat Star commenter

Still thinking of you GLs and as lara said, if positive thoughts were enough....

guinnesspuss likes this.
  7. GLsghost

GLsghost Star commenter

Yes, this is a strange disease. With no antibodies of my own, a temperature spike and an uncontrollable infection can be fatal in hours. This is what happened yesterday. Well fortunately not the fatal bit this time.

If any of you blood donors are donating O or B Negative, it could be yours!

frangipani123 and guinnesspuss like this.
  8. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Sorry to hear that. Will you be in hospital a long time?

Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

guinnesspuss likes this.
  9. GLsghost

GLsghost Star commenter

Months, if I'm lucky.

guinnesspuss and Rott Weiler like this.
  10. Calpurnia99

Calpurnia99 Star commenter

Bedblocker, eh...... :p

11. GLsghost

GLsghost Star commenter

:p

12. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

I'll look into it - I couldn't in the US or Ireland due to living here during the BSE era, but that wouldn't matter in the UK? [I have the most precious of blood - O negative].

biggest hugs....sigh :(

13. rosievoice

Bad Calpurnia. :D

It won't be my blood wot saved yer, AB+ is only of use to other AB+ers.

14. dominant_tonic

dominant_tonic Established commenter

@GLsghost I did not expect this when I was checking this thread. I'm so sorry., and wish had something more helpful/enlighteninh to say other than, ******. Wishing you all the best.

Can I all period at this pint phase, to consider registering b on dkms bone marrow registry? My 27 year old(ish) friend's son is looking for a match a s his mum had betting a huge drive on it.
    If you donate blood just register at your next session. If you don't, but are eligible to please visit the site and see whatt it entails. There are a few companies with varying age restrictions etc, but when looking for a match they are all checked, and dkms has the widest parameters of eligibilities.

Please register with them. As glsghost has powerfully demonstrated tyre donation of bloid and it's products is pivotal in more diseases than we know. (Not meaning to be patronising, but struggling to find thr right written tone at this ridiculous hour).

frangipani123 and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  15. dominant_tonic

dominant_tonic Established commenter

The star was merely bu_gger.

16. GLsghost

GLsghost Star commenter

Thank you DT . I have now had 6 units of O or B Negative red cells and 3 lots of platelets and feel brighter, but it's all relative .

Major crisis of a couple of days ago seems to have been averted and the ICU support has been stood down.

17. guinnesspuss

guinnesspuss Star commenter

So pleased to hear that. Rooting for you. :)

18. rosievoice

Same here. xx

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  19. marlin

marlin Star commenter

Glad that there is some improvement GL. Thinking about you. xxx

20. marymoocow

marymoocow Star commenter

I hope all that good stuff puts a spring in your step!!:)

[​IMG]