1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

And then came cancer

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by ilovepoppies, Apr 29, 2017.

1. ejclibrarian

ejclibrarian Established commenter Community helper

2. guinnesspuss

guinnesspuss Star commenter

3. friedgreentomatoes

friedgreentomatoes Senior commenter

Sending all good wishes to you GLs.

4. Lalad

Lalad Star commenter

5. smurphy6

smurphy6 Senior commenter

I hope you are improving GL and your gut is starting to behave itself again.

Very best wishes from me to you.

6. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

We miss you - the best of luck.

guinnesspuss likes this.
  7. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Ooh apologies.:oops: I updates another thread and forgot this one.

GL was in contact the other day to say she is now out of hospital :D :D and has even started to regain her appetite. :D

8. digoryvenn

digoryvenn Lead commenter

Wishing you a speedy recovery GL.

9. friedgreentomatoes

friedgreentomatoes Senior commenter

That is very good news!

minnie me and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  10. frangipani123

frangipani123 Lead commenter

Great news GL!

11. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Lead commenter

Good news, GL, hope you are beginning to feel better x

12. SantasElf

SantasElf New commenter

Sorry to be so late to wish GLs Ghost and ILovePoppies all the best for renewed good health

13. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

This i not a thread i usually visit and to hear rg news about GL ghost is to say the least shocking. Please convey to her my thoughts and sooon my prayers.How lcuky we are that our aches and pains are mere inconviniences in relation to the life and death adventure of GLghost.
    Pleas say hello when you write Laura,

14. Lalad

Lalad Star commenter

Easter Sunday is a time of hope and new life...there will be a candle burning in my church today for everyone on this thread, because you are all very much in my thoughts and prayers - and, whether you are a believer or not, everyone needs a helping hand at some point in their lives.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2018
  15. Lara mfl 05

Indeed GL said something similar about how the message of Easter was not lost on her this year, as she is the recipient of a 'life' now, thanks to a gift of bone marrow from someone completely unknown to her.
    She is inordinately grateful to that donor who has made her recovery possible, as are we of course.

Have been to visit GL herself this afternoon and she is grateful for all those good wishes.

She is doing remarkably well considering how ill she has been. As she pointed out, it will be a long haul, rather than a short spurt and she still has to avoid crowds etc. until her 'new' immune system has fully taken over, so I feel very privileged to have been allowed to 'come visit'. We even had a mini-Meet with foxtail and Theo and a good time was had by all- including a very posh 'afternoon tea with CAKE! ;)

Last edited: Apr 4, 2018
  16. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

How lovely lara.

17. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

Are there any updates people are able to pass on?
    I often think of you all, even though we've never met, face-to-face.

peapicker and guinnesspuss like this.
  18. Lara mfl 05

GLsghost is doing very well,
    Only a fortnight ago she said this
    Just back from a very long day at the hospital, with all the faffing around. But a day of very good news with everything going really well and any weird symptoms due to the strong transplant telling the world it really doesn't want all those nasty drugs any more, thank you. I've been instructed to bin or reduce lots of them as no longer needed! .

She has had one or two days when she's been very tired of course and she's had a new haircut and colour.

My husband is waiting for his next check up, but it's now been over a year since his treatment and had his last 'oestrogen injection back in Feb. Still getting the 'hot flushes' though, because it takes a whil to get out of the system and he's finding his strength isn't what it used to be when lifting heavy gas bottle, but all in all very positive.

No idea about Ilovepoppies.

19. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Lead commenter

So pleased to hear the good news, GLsghost and glad your husband is doing well, lara. Hope you're all managing to enjoy the sunshine x

lindenlea and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  20. Lara mfl 05

Finally someone has managed to contact poppies. I think it's safe to say that 'it's still an ongoing situation and although very weak after all her treatment she is making progress. Enough to be able to enjoy a family holiday in Turkey, which must be a real boost for her.