1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

And then came cancer

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by ilovepoppies, Apr 29, 2017.

1. friedgreentomatoes

friedgreentomatoes Senior commenter

Good to hear from you GL, take care of yourself.

guinnesspuss and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  2. Sundaytrekker

Sundaytrekker Star commenter

That’s good news for both GL and poppies. Rest and look after yourself. Best wishes.

3. Norsemaid

Norsemaid Senior commenter

I
    So glad to hear the news GL and that ilovepoppies too has had the treatment she needs .
    I don't post much on here much , as I'm afraid of saying the wrong thing, however, I do think of you and all of you that are on here and will keep you in my thoughts and prayers too.

guinnesspuss likes this.
  4. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

A very sobering thread but am uplifted by our colleagues positivity, strength and determination and the comments from posters who are willing them on

5. digoryvenn

digoryvenn Lead commenter

Great news GL and Poppies.
    Take care of yourselves.

Lara mfl 05 and guinnesspuss like this.
  6. guinnesspuss

guinnesspuss Star commenter

So pleased to hear things are progressing well. Lovely to hear from you.
    Take care xxx

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  7. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

You take care GLs. Glad to hear you are back home

8. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

Best wishes to both of you.

9. frangipani123

frangipani123 Lead commenter

Good to hear from you GL. Thoughts with GL, Poppies and Lara.

guinnesspuss likes this.
  10. smurphy6

smurphy6 Senior commenter

Im so glad to hear from you GL, wishing you a good recovery. Best wishes to everyone on this thread from me.

guinnesspuss likes this.
  11. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

Great to hear such a positive update for you both.
    Keep fighting!

12. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Lead commenter

Love and best wishes to both of you x

guinnesspuss likes this.
  13. GLsghost

GLsghost Star commenter

So Christmas Eve and for me it is officially +Day 53 with my new bone marrow. Christmas seems to have brought the three of us (that's Mr Lara, Poppies and me) relief, remission and favourable reports.

I got home from hospital nearly 3 weeks ago now and was initially very weak and fatigued. There is still a long way to go, but the feedback from the consultants is all positive. I haven't had any complications this far and they are starting to wean me off some of the drugs, including the hated immuno-suppressant medication (everyone hates it!).

The development of a new immune system will take many months but I have every reason to start to feel optimistic. Back at the beginning of June there was little hope and a very poor prognosis, but I have survived the chemotherapy and the transplant and dare to hope that I shall be one of the winners in the AML lottery. My hair's even starting to grow back, though I still look as if I've signed up for the Marines!

Wishing Mr Lara, Poppies and myself continued positive reports, good health and recuperation and thanks to all those of you who read this thread for your ongoing good wishes and support. It means everything and makes such a difference. I hope we all enjoy a peaceful and joyful Christmas with our loved ones.

14. lizziescat

lizziescat Star commenter

Every best wish to you GLs and to poppies and mr Lara and lazycat hubby too.
    This has certainly been ‘a year’ for each of you and lots of countinued positive thoughts winging their way for strength and recovery for all in 2018

15. GLsghost

GLsghost Star commenter

Of course...positive thoughts and warmest wishes for @Lazycat and her hubby too. Hope his treatment is going well and you can also enjoy a happy Christmas. xx

16. Sundaytrekker

Sundaytrekker Star commenter

It is good to read your very positive post, GL. I hope you and others living with cancer make more progress in 2018. We are all pleased to offer a little support to help you along.

This thread is a reminder to all of us of the fragility of life. It puts other everyday worries into perspective and reminds us to appreciate our loved ones this Christmas.

pepper5, guinnesspuss and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  17. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

18. friedgreentomatoes

friedgreentomatoes Senior commenter

Great to hear such a positive update. Merry Christmas to all and best wishes for 2018.

19. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

I think Mr Lara and I, GLsghost and husband, foxtail and husband can give a toast to 'surviving the year'
    [​IMG] to all the wonderful posters of this 'online community'

20. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

Thank you Lara. Mr F finished his treatment in November and will have four monthly checks to start, then hopefully increasing the time between.

Good wishes for 2018 to all.