1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

And then came cancer

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by ilovepoppies, Apr 29, 2017.

1. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

upload_2017-10-27_21-23-51.jpeg @rosievoice for that post above.

rosievoice and GLsghost like this.
  2. welshchocoholic1

welshchocoholic1 Senior commenter

Well aI least you're not bored @GLsghost!!! I hope you are not being as distruptive this weekend! I love the sound of your friend Rebecca too- nice to know you have someone like that. Thinking of you! Xx

Lara mfl 05 and rosievoice like this.
  3. Lara mfl 05

Having noticed your absence over on Well, well, well thread thought this might be a better place to post and try to send commiserations and something to try to cheer you GL aka @GLsghost
    Sending in the Samurai/ Kung Fu Fghters.

upload_2017-11-7_20-41-8.jpeg

4. Lara mfl 05

5. Lazycat

Lazycat Established commenter

I haven’t posted on TES for a number of years (I used to post as perdita) but came back only yesterday to look for support. My husband was diagnosed with cancer 7 months ago. He’s had some surgery and is now undergoing chemotherapy.

It was a real shock to read that two people who clearly know each other are going through this st the same time. Lara - my situation sounds very similar to yours. I’m in awe of the way people face this condition, the positivity and humour on the chemo ward is amazing (both from patients and medical staff). This was utterly terrifying at first but we seem to be learning to deal with it and it’s now become a new normal.

My advice, for what it’s worth, take what ever help and support is available, I’ve run myself ragged since he was diagnosed and need to spend some time taking care of myself before I become ill too.

I shall continue to follow this thread and hope for the very best of outcomes for all of you.

6. sparklepig2002

sparklepig2002 Star commenter

How are you doing GL?
    [​IMG]

7. lizziescat

lizziescat Star commenter

Best wishes to Lazycat and hubby.

And more best wishes to GLs, poppies and MrLara

8. marlin

marlin Star commenter

What Lizzie said. Hugs to all.

9. rosievoice

rosievoice Star commenter

Best wishes indeed to Mr and Mrs Lazycat (formerly Perdita) GL, Poppies and Mr MFL. xxxxx

Carers, take care of yourselves or I'll set the cat on you!

10. Lara mfl 05

Thanks. At the moment things are going well for Mr L/ MFL and he's still on the hormone jabs,which reduce the levels. So still 'the hot flushes' which are nothing compared to the side-effects poppies and GL are suffering.

11. rosievoice

rosievoice Star commenter

It's horrible, isn't it? Huge hugs for everyone going through chemo at the moment, and the people who can only watch and be there. xxx

12. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

Gentle hugs with care taken round the Hickman line. I had one get infected. It took 2 medics to remove it, it was hilariously funny. I suggested attaching an old infusion pump to it and throwing it out of the window.
    Not long after that one of the doctors failed to recognise me in the waiting room, followed by the classic line "I didn't recognise you with your clothes on".
    Hope you don't feel too rubbish after the conditioning.

13. ilovepoppies

ilovepoppies New commenter

Hi everyone, please accept my apologies for my lengthy absence. GLs has been passing on your messages of support, which I've really appreciated.
    I've now finished chemo, which left me wheelchair bound, but I'm pleased to say I've now built up my strength again to enable me to walk.
    I'm about to undergo another operation, to remove my lymph nodes, before starting radiotherapy in a few weeks.
    Thank-you for all your support and good luck messages, you really are the most amazing people.
    GLs and Lara I'm sending healing thoughts and hugs your way.
    Love Poppies xx

14. lizziescat

lizziescat Star commenter

Thank you poppies for the update. It's good to hear from you.
    Here's to more progress and a good recovery from the operation.
    Best wishes
    Xxx

15. frangipani123

frangipani123 Lead commenter

Onwards and upwards poppies. Lovely to hear from you. xx

16. guinnesspuss

guinnesspuss Star commenter

Your progress sounds marvelous ILP. GL has given us updates, but it's good to hear from you.
    Best wishes
    xxx

17. marlin

marlin Star commenter

18. Sundaytrekker

Sundaytrekker Star commenter

Good to hear from you, poppies. I’m glad you’ve got through chemo. Good luck with the next stages. Everyone here is cheering you on.

19. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

Sounds like you've had a rough time, poppies! Hope all goes well with the next round of treatment. Best wishes. X

20. marymoocow

marymoocow Star commenter

So pleased to hear about your progress poppies. Best wishes.xxx