1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

And then came cancer

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by ilovepoppies, Apr 29, 2017.

1. Calpurnia99

Calpurnia99 Star commenter

This. XXX

2. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

Oh @ilovepoppies what a bummer.

Only pieces of advice I have are to allow yourself to feel whatever you happening to be feeling - angry, sad, scared etc. etc. - all are normal and all are ok. No, you do not have to keep up a brave face for other people - this is about YOU and it's not your job to support other people through it. Go with how your body is and rest, rest, rest when you need to. Take someone with you to appointments so you can ask them what was said, because sometimes you won't hear it. Write down questions and get your companion to write down the answers.

Depression is a very common factor in cancer, so don't be afraid to ask for help in that area either.

And if you want to, keep us posted. And if you don't want to, just know that we are all cheering you on anyway.

3. Lalad

Lalad Star commenter

@ilovepoppies @Lara mfl 05

Sorry to learn of the worries that both of you are facing. I hope you are able to access as much support as you need, for yourselves and your families, at such a difficult time.
    Lalad x

4. Mazod

Mazod Occasional commenter

So sorry to hear of your diagnosis, I love Poppies. There's some really good advice here. I find speaking to someone outside of your immediate friends/family helpful with these type of things.

I came on here to write my own post as my brother in law was diagnosed with cancer of the oesophagus on Friday. He's 37 with two young children. I think my husband is in denial at the moment and hasn't experienced cancer before. Sadly, it's been present in my life through various loved ones over the past few years so I'm finding it tough that it's reared its ugly head again.

Thinking of all those affected.

pepper5, thistledoo and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  5. lizziescat

lizziescat Star commenter

Have just seen this thread.
    Also thinking of you @ilovepoppies
    and @lara so sorry, I hadn't realised.
    You've both had more than your fair share of sh..

pepper5, thistledoo and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  6. rayondesoleil1976

rayondesoleil1976 Occasional commenter

I have been following this thread but stuck for the right words other than I am sorry and thinking about everyone who has posted on this thread and hoping for better things for you.

thistledoo and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  7. GLsghost

GLsghost Star commenter

I doubt she will see this thread again for a while, but please keep Poppies in your thoughts and send loving vibes her way.

Her treatment begins today.

pepper5 likes this.
  8. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Will do.
    Presumably you're in touch with her,so please let her know we're thinking of her and sending those loving thoughts over the airways.

My husband's 'hormone' pre-treatment has started. but doesn't start the 'hospital' part until the end of the month. Being the remarkable man he is, he is still very upbeat and optimistic, refusing to slow down or stop all his extra activities. I suspect that might change soon, as I remember how tired f-i-l used to get.

9. GLsghost

GLsghost Star commenter

Love to you too, @Lara mfl 05 . It must be such a worrying and upsetting time for you. xxx

10. marlin

marlin Star commenter

Send my thoughts to Poppy too please @GLsghost .

11. thistledoo

thistledoo Senior commenter

Will be keeping Poppies and Lara's husband in my thoughts and hope loving support is received and the treatment doesn't have too many side effects.
    Try to keep well yourself @Lara mfl 05.

12. GLsghost

GLsghost Star commenter

Poppies' husband says she is back on the ward.

13. GLsghost

GLsghost Star commenter

Poppies update: she's doing well and communicating with people herself already.

14. Lara mfl 05

That sounds really positive.

15. marlin

marlin Star commenter

16. GLsghost

GLsghost Star commenter

Were trying to think of all the advantages of having one instead of two...like having somewhere to keep an emergency apple, being able to wear a bra for twice as long, cos it can go inside, outside and turn it round and foreplay taking 50% less time... :)

17. Lara mfl 05

Humour can be a great asset to coping. ;)
    My suggestion - never have to decide which profile is 'my best side' for a photograph any more.;)

lizziescat and marlin like this.
  18. GLsghost

GLsghost Star commenter

Poppies has been discharged from hospital and is home. She's snuggled into her girl cave surrounded by books, box sets and a coffee machine.

Early days but she's doing well.

19. marlin

marlin Star commenter

Best wishes to her @GLsghost Hope her recovery goes well. x

20. Lara mfl 05

I bet she's glad to be home, even if only to be able to sleep.;)

Glad she's got her 'girl cave' sorted.:D