1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

And the winner is...

Discussion in 'Education news' started by Vince_Ulam, Mar 13, 2016.

1. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

Hanan Al Hroub!

[​IMG]

Palestinian teacher wins million-dollar global teacher prize

'A Palestinian teacher who grew up in a refugee camp has won a million-dollar award dubbed the “Nobel Prize for teaching.”

Hanan Al Hroub, from Samiha Khalil School in the West Bank, was awarded the Global Teacher Prize at a ceremony in Dubai today.

The award was announced by Pope Francis via a video link, and Ms Al Hroub beat candidates from the UK, Pakistan, Kenya, the USA, Japan, Finland, Australia and India. The prize recognises those who have made an outstanding contribution to the profession.

"An incident of this level elicits a long history of human struggle to achieve victory for the human being," she said after winning the prize. "I accept this as a win for all teachers in general and Palestinian teachers in particular."

"We, as teachers can build the values and morals of young minds to ensure a fair world, a more beautiful world and a more free world."

Ms Al Hroub went into primary education after her children were left deeply traumatised by a shooting incident they witnessed on their way home from school.

She embraces the slogan ‘No to Violence’. She focuses on developing trusting, respectful, honest and affectionate relationships with her students and emphasises the importance of literacy.

In an interview with TES last week, Palestine's education minister Dr Sabri Saidam said a victory for Ms Al Hroub would be the key to unlocking Palestine's potential.

“If something of this magnitude happens, the world can no longer ignore the right for Palestinians to prosper and be free," he said.
    '

(TES.com, 13th March 2016.)

We've got problems in our profession in the UK, and we have gripes about aspects of the curriculum but Mrs Al Hroub's story grants us some perspective:

'We just want to live in peace.'

2. palmtree100

palmtree100 Lead commenter

Brilliant, thanks for posting Vince.

3. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

Thank goodness.

It restores some of my faith in the value of teaching in the modern world and what it can achieve.

palmtree100 likes this.
  4. palmtree100

palmtree100 Lead commenter

Work on their morals and speak to their souls.
    Our job is humane, our goals are noble.
    Our only weapon is knowledge and education.

Some great reminders from a teacher managing to inspire in very difficult circumstances.

5. RedQuilt

RedQuilt Star commenter

I'm not usually in favour of these awards but I'm making an exception in this case. She deserves the recognition and a big 'well done'.