1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

And the possibility of saving is.....?

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by percy topliss, Nov 5, 2017.

1. percy topliss

percy topliss Occasional commenter

Just wondering. Myself and Mrs T manage to tuck between 2 and 3 thousand pounds a month away, just for that rainy day.However, I just read a thread about Venice where the money seems a tad paltry. How much do people actually save where you are? I have never counted Europe as an actual overseas job but I am willing to learn.

Tell me.

Perce

T0nyGT likes this.
  2. T0nyGT

T0nyGT Established commenter

I'm in Europe as you know. At the moment we don't save anything apart from enough for any emergency issues that might arrive. We live a decent lifestyle - nothing we really want that we can't have. We are buying our house though instead of renting which means once the mortgage is done we won't have that over our heads. I have a pension also which I guess is something. At the moment I'm the only one working with a family of 4 but once the kids start school and my wife works we'll have more to save. I'm not entirely sure what I'd save for though. I'm more of a 'spend it if I have it' sort of guy which is why we have a nice apartment, decent car, good food and empty bank

3. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Established commenter

Always managed to save a minimum of £1000 a month wherever i have worked, except Spain. I would or should have saved more, but i have lived a VERY nice life with some amazing holidays and experiences. Now im saving north of £50 000 a year, plus still living an amazing life, but day to day life here can be a bit boring.....but then im here to work, not to party.

4. T0nyGT

We always said that the moment finances got too tight, we would move where the money was, but until then we'd be crazy to leave here. It took me 4 years to learn supermarket-level Greek. I can't just throw that away.

percy topliss likes this.
  5. 576

576 Occasional commenter

My disposable income per month is approx £1500 (pretty much all of my take home as accommodation and meals are taxable benefits and electric bills here are about £10 per month). But I don't 'save' all of that as I have holidays to pay for! I have a work place pension scheme which I know isn't the case for many who are earning big money.

6. T0nyGT

Where are you working?

7. sicalifornia

sicalifornia New commenter

Mrs California and I manage to save around 3000-4000 gbp a month.depending on what else is going on that month - if we save the higher end of that then we are getting a little tight towards the end of the month.

8. sicalifornia

sicalifornia New commenter

Yes! As my dad used to say, "you can't take it with you; enjoy it whilst you can!"

9. 576

576 Occasional commenter

sub-saharan Africa.

10. steluta

steluta New commenter

At least 4 k, teaching couple, kids, in Europe. Living well and travelling most holidays. Decent pension as well.

11. tigi

tigi Occasional commenter

Not much but I'm in Europe with dependants. Hoping to change that in the future, just want to get a bit more experience first.

12. percy topliss

Thanks for the replies, it is interesting to see how others do. I must say that Mrs T and I didn't really start saving until we had been away for about 10 years. Before that it was partying and holidays galore. Then along came the kids and with them a sense of responsibility! I know that Mrs May doesn't seem to able to have her cake and eat it but I do get the sneaking suspicion that many of us make a jolly good attempt!

Cheers,

Perce

13. gulfgolf

gulfgolf Established commenter

About 55,000 to 70,000 GBP per annum. Proper savings - tucked away, never to be used until retirement or dire unforeseen events. Travel and lifestyle come out of a different pot.
    And that's part of my interest - are the figures above temporary savings (until the next holiday, etc), or permanent (until retirement)?

14. dumbbells66

for me its savings not to be touched. i have another pot of money for holidays and living etc, like you.

ejclibrarian likes this.
  15. SPC2

SPC2 Occasional commenter

Two large a month, retirement provision. That comes first, lifestyle second. Not bad given I'm in the country The Economist has just nominated the most expensive in the world for expats (again), but I'm still a bit jealous of you high-rollers!

16. percy topliss

We have a couple of houses in the UK which are let out and we see as long term investments. We then put money away every month for our kids needs in the future and pay into pensions. Our holidays all come out of our wages after savings have gone.

Perce

ejclibrarian likes this.
  17. dumbbells66

when i look back on what i earned in the UK, i was barely making it through the month, and scrapping by, let alone "living". my life is so much better now, and i cant ever see me going back. im sorry, but no "pension" could ever make up for the difference, i would take my life now a million times over ever working in the UK again.

18. okmohito

okmohito New commenter

Are you a head teacher of a massive IB school or something? Which country are you in to save that massive massive amount of money?

19. simon43

simon43 New commenter

I save $2,000 USD each month on my single teacher's salary.

I'm in Naypyidaw, Myanmar - nothing to spend money on here anyway, except booze and I don't drink...

20. tiler

tiler New commenter

I save around 1800GBP/month on a single salary with a family.

My 20's were spent single and living it up in a big asian city. Unsurprisingly I didn't save a penny.

I only got serious about saving at age 31. This has been combined with a deep dive into investment research. Now on target to be FIRE (financially independent, retire early) by 46. It's unlikely I will actually retire from working altogether, but looking forward to the freedom that will bring.