1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

....and so it begins.

Discussion in 'Personal' started by peakster, Mar 29, 2017.

1. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Well people, welcome to the BREXIT era......so much to look forward to.

No money for already declining public services
    Many more years of grinding austerity
    Many more years of a Right wing Tory government
    No pay rises for Public sector workers
    Higher prices for virtually everything
    Fewer skilled people from overseas coming in to do the jobs there are not enough trained Brits to do.
    Increasing desperate bleating from government when negotiations fail.
    More expensive holidays
    More racial tensions

But hey...remember...we got our country back.

Anonymity, Burndenpark, Moony and 5 others like this.
  2. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

The new pound coin is just like an old thruppeny bit and the front pages are discussing women's legs.
    It's the Post-War Golden Age returned!
    :confused:

3. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I love the look of the new one pound coins though - I'm wondering whether they will fit in the little slot that you get supermarket trolleys with (if you don't shop at Tescos).

slingshotsally likes this.
  4. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

I'm convinced that was intentional.

Anonymity, Flere-Imsaho and chelsea2 like this.
  5. chelsea2

chelsea2 Lead commenter

Well, the pound has fallen QUITE a lot.....

harsh-but-fair likes this.
  6. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Yes, but think how this will save the NHS! o_O

upload_2017-3-29_9-43-10.jpeg

7. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

According to some everything will be much better and the UK will be fine.
    According to others we are doomed for various reasons.
    I take the middle view in that there will be bad things and there will be good things and they may balance each other out.

I refuse to speculate or predict which may be which

8. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Lead commenter

I agree. I never noticed any great difference when we joined the EU and I don't expect to notice any when we leave. The whole thing keeps journalists in employment, of course, and I hear that lawyers aren't expecting to do too badly, either.

9. Nanook_rubs_it

Nanook_rubs_it Lead commenter

After the divorce, the battle for custody begins:

Northern Ireland ‘can rejoin EU after Brexit if it votes for reunification’

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-northern-ireland-can-rejoin-eu-reunification-david-davis-stormont-a7653346.html

While Scotland would be forced to join back of the queue, a united Ireland would not need to reapply for membership, says David Davis.

He added: “In that event, Northern Ireland would be in a position of becoming part of an existing EU member state, rather than seeking to join the EU as a new independent state.”

10. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

BOAO, China — The U.K.'s exit from the European Union (EU) will present new opportunities for free trade with the world's second-largest economy, a former Chinese banker said Saturday.

"Brexit will pave a new path for free trade between China and the U.K.," Li Ruogu, former chairman of the Export-Import Bank of China, said at the Boao Forum held in the Hainan province of China.

Despite fears about rising protectionism and anti-free trade forces in the current global environment, Li said the U.K. may already be a more open market than the EU. He cited inefficiencies in EU agricultural policies and its disputes with China regarding the steel trade as examples of protectionism in the EU.

"After Brexit, China and U.K. trade may get freer, especially in financial services," said Li, who was speaking in a panel moderated by CNBC anchor Geoff Cutmore.

http://www.cnbc.com/2017/03/25/uk-china-trade-brexit-li-ruogo-boao-forum.html

:rolleyes:

Still, a man hears what he wants to hear
    And disregards the rest.

:rolleyes:

lexus300 and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  11. Nanook_rubs_it

Yea!!! More Chinese steel...I can hear the cheers from Port Talbot all the way across the Bristol channel :rolleyes:

vannie, Laphroig and InkyP like this.
  12. florian gassmann

Why do you refer to leaving the EU as a "divorce"? We never married the EU - the very idea that it is a marriage is really rather offensive to those of us who value marriage.

Do you marry your bank when you open an account? Do you divorce your bank and marry a new one when you decide it is no longer competitive?

13. grumpydogwoman

BelleDuJour, lexus300 and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  14. florian gassmann

Despite the fact that they have to pay WTO tariffs, the EU imports more from China than any other country except the USA (to whom they also pay WTO tariffs).

What decides international trade is not politicians, it is whether firms offer stuff that others want and at a price they wish to pay.

lexus300 and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  15. grumpydogwoman

I'm not so stupid as to suppose the UK will suddenly adopt an ethical trading policy whether in or out of the EU.

My ill-made point was that we won't cease to buy and sell goods to other markets - be they EU or non-EU. Sorry, not goods. Services. We sell services. We buy goods.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  16. Nanook_rubs_it

Apologies, I forgot you don't do allegory. I expect more imagination from a musician though.

17. Nanook_rubs_it

Yep, those South Wales steel workers really voted Brexit to import more Chinese steel to encourage 'fair trade'. Turkey's voting for Christmas.

Burndenpark likes this.
  18. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

The Republic probably doesn't want them (Sinn Fein does, I think) - after we (MrSK) changed the Irish Constitution after the Good Friday Agreement ;)

Nanook_rubs_it likes this.
  19. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

I wonder what will be the position of us 'EU-ones' if we are under five years of residence at the 'conclusion' of Brexit, which is....me [returned in April 2014], sigh. :(

20. Nanook_rubs_it

Reminds me of the situation in West Germany when the wall came down, and they realised there was a difference between using the divide as a political prop, and actually having to go through with it!