1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

And I'm Done

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by EvilAsh, Nov 16, 2015.

1. EvilAsh

EvilAsh Occasional commenter

Hard, hard class, new (work intensive) assessment system, highly unsupportive year group, new planning,new ways to do reading (but no one seems to know how to do it yet).
    I'm highly experienced, yet nothing I say gets listened to, with very little management support, and fatally poor communication about anything. How easy is it to cease being a year group leader mid year, even if there is no one else to do it?
    My wife and I have a second baby on the way and I don't think the TLR is worth it for the stress this is causing.
    I've never, ever known a year to be this bad and it's only the beginning!

2. drek

drek Star commenter

Firstly congratulations. And hope they leave you enough time for your home life so that you are able to enjoy and support your family life as you deserve to!

I think you'll find that as long as leadership keep barking orders about things they don't know enough about, that's the way it's going to remain.

Everyone is in the same boat but pulling in so many different directions thanks to the endless to do list, the boat is going round and round in a bit of a frenzy.

The first set of results in 2017, is when things will either get better or so bad that it will force a massive overhaul of the current system.

They need to let teachers teach. We know what to do, those that don't should ask those that do for help if they need it. Not forced to accept help or commands that are unsuitable for their groups.

With the current system of getting leaders to evidence every time they blink at someone and making the blinkee sign on the dotted line!, people who need leadership evidence points are just making up extra jobs and meetings for teachers to do, to collect this evidence. So it has become one big mess pot pretty quickly.

They are trying to blag performance management the way they do SEFs and it is not working. Not with new and more difficult curriculums to establish.

Anonymity likes this.
  3. frustum

frustum Star commenter

It's not. There is no entitlement to be able to resign the TLR without resigning the whole teaching post. You can ask whether they would consider allowing you to drop the TLR, but if there's nobody suitable to take on the post internally, then they would need to advertise, and the new person would need your class to teach. They might want to advertise even if there is a potential internal replacement, to see if they can do better.

So you'll probably just have to manage, perhaps looking around for non-TLR posts (although there's always a risk in moving schools that you end up somewhere with even more pressure). Flag up the issues, ask for support. Or drop into conversation that maybe if it doesn't improve, your wife will go back to work and you'll take more of the shared parental leave - it might give them an incentive to improve things!

Are your team unsupportive because they're also struggling with the assessment system, etc? If you're battling to get bureaucracy reduced, make sure they know that - they'll be glad to know you're on their side.