1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

And another one

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by Rendellers, Mar 15, 2016.

1. Rendellers

Rendellers New commenter

Having just read that another poster is leaving the profession, over the moon, and the question posed on the thread as to whether or not TES posters are representative of the teaching population I thought I should put my hand up.

I am actually retiring at Easter but earlier than I had planned to go. I used to love my job but can no longer stomach the changes being made. I work in primary and would not want my own children educated in the current system and they actually attended the school in which I now teach in the1990s! A government that does not appear to understand what average is and how it is arrived at, one which has a tick list mentality that needs commas to appear in a piece of work and that that appears to outweigh the creativity of the writing and one that takes concrete materials away from early mathematicians beggars my belief. Creativity has been booted out through the back door.

Now I know, for instance, that concrete materials can continue to be used in class and that assessment of writing will be from numerous pieces of work however with pay progression linked to performance what poor teacher would not ‘teach to the test’ and I mean no offence by that

Would I recommend teaching as a career? No and one of my children is one! Oh and their time at school produced three very creative individuals, able to think and reason for themselves and with music, law and economics degrees to boot so it couldn’t have been that bad despite them being from a one parent family with a full time working mum.

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

I am sorry to hear of the unhappy situation that you have been in, and wish you all the best for a peaceful and very happy retirement.

(I won't say A long retirement because that is suggesting that the alternative might be sudden death!)

[​IMG]

Best wishes

.​

wanet and Rendellers like this.