1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

And another Head with sticky fingers. So much for financial regulation of academies ...

Discussion in 'Education news' started by binaryhex, Sep 5, 2017.

1. binaryhex

binaryhex Established commenter

2. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

I'm sure their current appeal for more funds will be enthusiastically received....NOT!

3. Mrsmumbles

Mrsmumbles Star commenter

4. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Lead commenter

I wonder why reporting restrictions were placed on this case?

install likes this.
  5. Lattelady

Lattelady New commenter

Who was reviewing the budget, let alone signing off his expenses?

install likes this.
  6. tjra

tjra Occasional commenter

Interestingly apt choice for the thread title.

install and grumpydogwoman like this.
  7. install

install Star commenter

Some headteachers and ceos have too much time and freedom on their hands...as well as money of course :p:p:p:p

Got any money anyone? Lol

8. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

Just how was this allowed to continue for so long? Well done the whistle-blower.

A former academy headteacher who defrauded his school of £100,000, had sex in his office and drank alcohol in school, has pleaded guilty to fraud and misconduct in public office.

Sawtry Village Academy in Cambridgeshire has spoken out for the first time about the crimes of its former principal James Stewart, and its ex-vice-principal Alan Stevens.

Between August 2011 and August 2014, Stewart made off with more than £100,000, including roughly £84,000 in fraudulent expenses claims.

He also regularly had sex with another adult during school hours in a part of his office that had been adapted for such a purpose, and frequently drank alcohol in school, enough to affect his ability to manage the academy.

He also helped his former deputy Alan Stevens to claim fraudulent expenses.

These irregularities first came to light when a whistle-blower approached Ofsted inspectors during a visit in June 2014.

emerald52 and install like this.
  9. install

install Star commenter

So when in doubt....tell Ofsted....mmmm the right thing to do here thank goodness.

I wonder how the whistle blower was treated after - fairly I hope.

10. elledriver

elledriver Lead commenter

The offences occurred before this school became an academy.
    "Between August 2011 and August 2014, Stewart made off with more than £100,000, including roughly £84,000 in fraudulent expenses claims."
    Sawtry Community College converted to academy status in April 2015 and was renamed Sawtry Village Academy.

11. Skeoch

Skeoch Established commenter

Sadly this is almost inevitable when big temptation is put in some people's way. I don't think it's specifically to do with Academies or any other bit of organisation. Clearly there can be bigger temptations and opportunities for some people when they get further up the hierarchy. Most classroom teachers don't have these opportunities.
    I'd be surprised if the incidence of this sort of dishonesty were significantly different in schools compared to, say, hospitals or small businesses.

install likes this.
  12. CaptGrimesRetd

CaptGrimesRetd New commenter

"...a part of his office that had been adapted for such a purpose".

I cannot help but wonder how it was thus adapted and indeed why nobody appears to have noticed.