1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Ancient History IB

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by ollydt, Aug 22, 2011.

1. Hi, has anyone heard anything regarding the possibility of an Ancient History IB? And where more info could be obtained? Can't seem to find anything on IBO website.

Cheers, Olly

2. Hi, has anyone heard anything regarding the possibility of an Ancient History IB? And where more info could be obtained? Can't seem to find anything on IBO website.

Cheers, Olly

3. Arepa

Arepa New commenter

I suggest that you write the IB and ask them. Years ago, in the mid-90s, I attended a curriculum planning session for IB History at their HQ in Cardiff. A teacher from Scandinavia advocated adding an Ancient History component to the curriculum. At the time, I was strongly opposed because such a curriculum, would not, in my opinion, have been sufficiently international. The Americas and sub-Saharan African would not have been included. In addition, such critical topics, again in my opinion, as nationalism, imperialism, and the industrial revolution would obviously not be covered. I argued that these topics are critically relevant to preparing students for the 21st Century and as such are part of the IB mission. Mind you this was from a teacher who had once taught Tudor History A levels to Nigerian students (less awkward than my colleagues next door in Dahomey, now Benin, who taught their Francophone students "our ancestors, the Gauls"). Now, in my dotage, I am a bit more flexible and would be prepared to see a strong case made for teaching Ancient History. One of the great things about the IB is that they systematically review the curriculum and this review is actually done by teachers rather than by politicians.