1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

ancient history club

Discussion in 'Classics' started by Helena Handbasket, Jul 3, 2011.

1. Helena Handbasket

Helena Handbasket New commenter

I was also hoping to make links with the archaeology department at the local uni to see about artefact sessions or any school resources they have.

Any other ideas would be welcomed [​IMG]

2. lemoni122

lemoni122 New commenter

What age are the students going to be? Depending on age you could show them 'The Odyssey' or 'Troy'.
    Though I'd play them an audio version first. Have you heard of the Daniel Morden and Hugh Lupton retellings of the Odyssey (I think it's called 'The Return of Odysseus') and the Iliad ('The Wrath of Achilles') on CD's. My under 12's really love the stories but they're suitable for older pupils too. Just occasionally, the mispronunciation of a name sets my teeth on edge... but that's all that's wrong.
    There are teacher's guides to go with the series. My pupils colour in ancient artists' impressions of the incident they're listening to (available in the guides), which helps their focus. They write a mini para about the event, with the aid of word-prompts. This work makes excellent display material too!

3. Helena Handbasket

Helena Handbasket New commenter

thanks Lemoni. the pupils are secondary so 11-16.
    The audio versions of the stories sound good. I have heard ones that are used for younger ages that are quite nice but this club is part of a 5 year plan I have to get classical civ on the curriculum at school. I already have support from the deputy head so it's a start!!!

4. We've run a Classics Club for a year, but it's mainly been run by sixth formers, so enthusiastic, but a touch disorganised!
    Some ideas I've had for this year include:
    • Secret codes (i.e. hieroglyphics, Greek, maybe the Caesar cypher)
    • A short version of a Roman comedy
    • Lego ancient monument competition
    • Classics film club
    • Mosaic workshop
    • Hoplite shield building
    Good luck with getting Class Civ onto the curriculum. Do you have time to run a short-course group off-timetable to begin with?