1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Ancient Greeks topic

Discussion in 'Scotland - Primary' started by feemackenzie, Jan 6, 2012.

1. Has anyone taught an Ancient Greeks topic to P6 / 7 stage? If so, can any pointers be shared as I'm feeling very overwhelmed with the size of the Ancient Greeks.

Thank you

2. Have never taught it, but it would appear to be a good lead in to the Olympics. Also, mythology lends itself to cross-curricular activities. How about studying famous Greek 'scientists'?
    Just a couple of thoughts!

3. I would say start with what the children are interested in and what Es and Os you want to meet. Why not ask them what they'd like to find out about? It's a good chance to look at democracy and what that means in Scotland today. I did a lot on Greek myths and legends with lots of literacy work with my 5/6 last year and then went on to what it meant to be a hero and writing their own modern hero stories.

4. Great resource called That's What I Call A Class Assembly - The Ancient Greeks by Out of the ARk Music. short play/script, factual songs to learn and 4 pages of cross curricular ideas for you tao have a go at. Worth a look and listen on line at www.outoftheark.co.uk