1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Ancient Greece Art Ideas-Year 4

Discussion in 'Primary' started by posingpoodle, Apr 16, 2008.

1. Clay/mod roc greek masks. this worked well in my class and we used them for drama too. x

2. Thanks posing poodle-sounds like fun!
    Anyone else?!?

3. I taught Y6 this topic and we made masks and artifacts for our assembly where the children acted out the story of Perseus. Gutted I deleted the final playscript, (which they improved after I gave them a duff one on purpose).

Anyway... they loved making greek pots (papier mache) We stuck cut out photocopies of the silhoette type images after they painted them in traditional style.

One class dressed up as Greeks for the day and ate Greek food. (I know that's not what you asked about, just thought I'd throw it in).

4. Thanks Iceni for your great ideas. I love doing topics like this-can't wait to get started!

5. We also looked at pots particularly focusing on figures. The children did work with wooden mannequins posing them in similar positions and sketching them. They then designed a scene encorporating at least one figure for a greek pot which they did first on paper using paint and then made using clay. We've done this a few times and it has always worked well and linked to key skills in art. In DT we make greek temples using paper structures - You could focus on the architecture and get the children to sketch the features.

6. Oh I have photos of loads of greek stuff from a museum in berlin that I can e mail you if you want? xx

7. in my Y5 class last year we made greek pots out of clay and also used black and orange paper o create scenes like those on original vases- of olympic events or particular myths. --> cut vase shape out of black paper (we used backing paper to get a better black than sugar paper!) then cut images and people out of orange paper to look like the slip/ paint they used in ancient times. They looked really effective- instant display too! fab

8. Masks, pots/Olympic medals/jewellery from clay, BIG Greek fruit/veg in pastels, Greek patterns/motifs, 3d temple in miniature/temple frieze & pillars from large carpet roll tubing.

9. Does anyone know of any good art websites?? (been searching for ages but can't find anything!).

10. Thank you so much everyone for all your fab ideas-I knew you wouldn't let me down!