1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Ancient Egyptian Writing

Discussion in 'Primary' started by pink_hippoes, May 2, 2012.

1. pink_hippoes

pink_hippoes New commenter

We are currently covering Ancient Egypt in our History topic and have 2 weeks this term to do some Fiction writing. I want to do a cross curricular theme with the chn writing stories about Egypt and was thinking maybe they could write from the perspective of a slave building a pyramid etc. Has anyone done anything along these lines before or could point me in the direction of good resources/ideas?
    Many thanks in advance!

2. pink_hippoes

We are currently covering Ancient Egypt in our History topic and have 2 weeks this term to do some Fiction writing. I want to do a cross curricular theme with the chn writing stories about Egypt and was thinking maybe they could write from the perspective of a slave building a pyramid etc. Has anyone done anything along these lines before or could point me in the direction of good resources/ideas?
    Many thanks in advance!

3. goingforaswim

goingforaswim New commenter

There is a BBC drama (6 parts) about a man who helps to build the pyramids. My children watched them and wrote (in role). They also wrote letters back home to their family.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwiic6BoleQ

4. We did a huge history and English project on Ancient Egypt last term. The children had a framework but had the freedom to choose what they researched and how they presented their work. I've tried to list below most of the different written things that I saw.
    Diaries and letters from slaves, farmers or Pharaohs.
    Instructions on how to mummify a body and build a pyramid.
    Job adverts for various different jobs that ancient Egyptians would have had.
    Advertisements for buying a pyramid and pyramid builders.
    Non-chronological reports on an aspect of Ancient Egypt that the children researched.
    Tour of King Tuts tomb.
    Newspaper report on the murder/death of Tutankhamun and the biblical plagues.
    Poems based on an aspect of Ancient Egypt that the children chose.
    Word searches and crosswords.
    Riddles pointing towards gods and godesses.
    Fact files about different gods and goddesses and Pharaohs.
    Recipes that the children had made (and brought into class!)
    Comic strips about King Tuts life and death.
    Explanations of the seasons and cycle of employment.

5. pink_hippoes

Brilliant thank you so much!!! Lots more ideas now and Ive downloaded the youtube videos, the kids will love that!

6. kerrytd

kerrytd New commenter

I've used the Prince of Egypt DVD, watched to a certain point, then children have written the next part of the story. Works well!

7. lukesmum

lukesmum Occasional commenter

Our theme last term was all about Ancient Egypt. Here is a link to a blog post detailing the activities.

http://www.pedagoo.org/2012/04/ancient-egypt/

Lukesmum :)