1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Ancient Egyptian - Mummification without the gore?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Wotworklifebalance, Jan 18, 2018.

1. Wotworklifebalance

Wotworklifebalance New commenter

Oh Great Minds of the TES community
    I an teaching Ancient Egypt to a small group of Yr3/4 autistic boys. Next week I was going to cover mummification however, today there was a brief summary of mummification in a film clip that we watched and one of my boys was really upset by the vital organs being removed. It's going to be pretty tricky to cover mummification without mentioning the removal of vital organs (and tbh I usually make quite a big thing of it with loud squelching noises) unless ... any bright ideas?

2. elder_cat

elder_cat Established commenter

Having done a quick search on Google, I can see your problem with this.:)

Nearly all the resources you come across contain quite graphic wording with regard to the removal of the internal organs. There were also a few with animations allowing the kids to 'create your own mummy', but I'm not sure asking them to 'take the hook and remove the brain and put the bits in the jar', would go down too well with the students in question.:eek:

https://www.theschoolrun.com/homework-help/pyramids-and-mummies

The resource in the link above contains a reasonable description of the process in the 'About' section. Could you not just 'filter out' the bits they find distressing, and maybe reword them so they were a little less graphic?

Maybe even get them to do an activity to 'make their own mummy', with some fruit or veg (which decomposes anyway if left long enough). Or perhaps get them to create a 'chicken mummy' using stuffing? :D

That might give you a roundabout way of addressing the necessity of having to 'remove bits' during mummification, but without actually relating them to parts of a person? :)

3. Zoot

Zoot New commenter

I love teaching about the civilisation of Ancient Egypt. I am thinking that maybe you cut out out mummification or focus on the aspect of the journey to the afterlife instead. If your pupils enjoy kinesetic learning, I would create a lesson where they can become archaeologists. Rearrange the desks and let them crawl through 'tunnels' where you have placed laminated pictures of tomb paintings. They can discuss what they think the pictures tell us about everyday life. There are some fabulous tombs in the valley of the noblemen and workmen you could use. Otherwise I have used laminated tomb paintings that I have cut into jigsaws and let small groups have a piece at a time to see if they can work out what the painting is about.

4. Milgod

Milgod Established commenter

Why avoid it just for one child? Maybe talk to him about it, but the others would love it.

5. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Do this: Mummify an orange
    The peel dries and goes brown, but you do need somewhere warm to leave it for a LONG time.

We haven't mentioned gore or blood at all. Simply took out all the organs and put them in canopic jars, but left the heart as it was seen as the centre of the body and needed to get to the afterlife. They've still loved it.