1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Analysis of ks3 results- what to do?

Discussion in 'Science' started by sciencequeen00, Aug 31, 2011.

1. sciencequeen00

sciencequeen00 New commenter

Help! I have been asked to do this job " analyse of ks3 science"...

The progress pupils are making? ar ethey making expected progress?
    Analyse of boys/girls, SEN. LAC, Gifted, FSM, Ability groups
    How do our figures compare to national figures ( where is that info found?)
    How do our results compare to similar schools- reference has to be made to rasieonline and County epods
    Trends in results over last 3 years/ differences in teaching group results etc

I have never done this type of analyse so I may need some help from anyone who can offer advice....

2. sciencequeen00

sciencequeen00 New commenter

[​IMG]
    Does anyone have any clue?

3. Many schools use the Fischer Family Trust data which, when I used it, gave a complete breakdown by predicted grades, gender, ethnicity, free-meals etc etc. It was applicable to individuals, groups, years, local schools, national figures etc etc.
    Has this all changed because SATs are not compulsory?
    Is it part of the Exam Officers job-description?
    What does the person issuing the order intend doing with the results? If it is to ensure Y10s are suitably grouped, then it is probably urgent. If it is to criticize the teaching of last year's classes, make sure you also present all the provisos - Teacher X was absent for 3 months; Class C always had Science last thing in the afternoon, after PE etc.
    I used to put the data into a spreadsheet and compared the difference in predicted (KS2 basis and Y9 mock exam) results with that achieved: +2,+1,0,-1,-2 etc. If you feel keen, contrast Teacher Assessment as well. Then print out average and standard deviation for each teaching group, by gender and overall. I gave SMT those raw figures. For each teacher I gave a list sorted by "difference" for their classes and asked them to account for the 3 kids at the top and the 3 kids at the bottom.
    I suggest you ask your manager what they expect and how long they want you to spend doing it (it will almost certainly take twice as long as you imagine!). Also ask what task they anticipate you will not be able to do because you are spending time doing that task. This assumes you are not on some open-ended scheme whereby you have to work 25h per day, 8d per week - it's called "life-work balance". (It may dent your promotion prospects, so consider how to do it carefully. However, a good manager should not expect their underlings to slave away for hours on a non-essential job, and it may be that "analysis of pupil performance" was one of the tasks removed from teachers about 6 years ago - check your Union website. If you hope for promotion, apply that principle when you are in a position of power!)