1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Anaesthetised nose

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by Spanakopita, Jul 15, 2011.

1. Spanakopita

Spanakopita New commenter

I had some injections at the dentist at 10 o'clock this morning. The dentist assured me the anaesthetic would wear off in an hour but my nose is still numb and my lips feel fizzy. This is bothering me. Has anyone else experienced such a reaction?

2. Yes. I went to the dentist this week and had a couple of injections which took several hours to wear off. I wouldn't worry - you're bound to feel back to normal soon!

3. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

But it's nearly 8 hours now since I had them!

4. Hmm, that is quite a long time. Can you phone the dental surgery for advice?

5. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

No. It's shut now till Monday. I should have phoned earlier.

6. NHS Direct? Dentist out of hours service?

7. No nose? How do you smell?

8. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

I smell of Thierry Mugler 'Cologne' but my nose and my eyes feel horrible. I phoned the dental surgery for the out of hours' number which I then phoned only to be told that they had no one on hand to deal with my enquiry and to phone NHS Direct and a fat lot of good that was. A man answered and said several times, 'I'll see what we can do for yourself at this moment in time and was that Sierra Whiskey 18?' He went off for about 15 mins and returned to say that dental anaesthesia sometimes lasts for a few hours. I told him it had lasted for 9 hours and was concerning me so he said someone would phone me back in 5 hours and that they would be able to help myself then. Very 'direct' ha ha.If I fail to check in on here tomorrow I hope one of you will raise the alarm! I am beginning to think I've got nerve damage.

9. I presume it was the upper jaw if your nose still feels numb? The structure
    of the upper jaw is very porous and the anaesthetic can spread more widely.
    Different people can react differently to all sorts of anaesthetics, you should
    have got it out of your system within 12-24 hours. If you are still worried try
    an A&E or similar, there's always an anaesthetist on call if there is a
    problem. Also whilst you still have the numbness be careful with hot drinks etc as the roof of your mouth is probably still numb too.

10. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Many thanks for this, Keira, as it was reassuring. My eyes are fine this morning and my nose is improved though still not right. You were a lot more helpful than any of the agencies I phoned!

11. Are you OK now nutella?

12. Spanakopita

Spanakopita New commenter

Thanks for asking, Lily. My eyes are OK now and my nose still feeling strange and 'fizzy' but much better than it was. I will phone the dentist tomorrow to talk about what happened because it's never happened to me before and it was a hygienist I've never seen before who had a scatter gun technique of firing injections all along the gums which clearly didn't work in my best interests. Hope you are all right!