1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

An update to resource reviews

Discussion in 'Tes Authors' Group' started by tesAuthorTeam, Feb 21, 2019.

Tags:
  1. tesAuthorTeam

tesAuthorTeam Administrator Staff Member TES Authors' forum host

It is now compulsory for any new 1 or 2 star resource reviews to be accompanied by a comment. We have also explicitly stated that any issues with the website and download process should be reported to us and not left as a review.

Please read the announcement here.

2. Jane Austen

Jane Austen New commenter

Not before time.

Facetious and penyrheol1 like this.
  3. godwin86

godwin86 New commenter

This is a great step, many thanks.

I think Tes need to include objective/testable criteria of what fairly constitutes a 1* or 2* product.
    e.g.
    "The product has serious design flaws"
    "The product does not load"
    "The product description is misleading or deceptive"
    "The product is missing essential components"
    etc

If authors need to get a 1* review challenged, there shouldn't be much room for subjectivity or debate on the matter.

I recently had a 4* rated product given a 1* rating "because the instructions are unclear" and actually had to have a bit of 'back and forth' before convincing Tes it wasn't a 1* product and (therefore) that the rating is unfair and should be removed.

This could easily be avoided if Tes specify a criteria by which a product can legitimately be awarded a 1* review, 2* rating etc. This criteria could be shared with customers when leaving a review/rating.

It would take about 30 minutes to implement this change and would save countless work-hours for both Tes and authors in the long-run.

EC_Resources and penyrheol1 like this.
  4. myersale

myersale New commenter

Finally a move in the right direction. One star reviews either without explanation / justification or with a single criticism (e.g.: this was not what I was expecting, or the instructions were unclear) are objectively unfair.

I personally would also welcome a way for buyers to contact authors (before) placing a review, and / or without having to make a purchase. Sometimes the description of an item still leaves some questions unanswered, and buyers should be able to provide constructive criticism (to which the author can react and improve the product) should be possible without having to be accompanied by a rating.

5. MosaiK

MosaiK Occasional commenter

I agree with what you are saying... :cool:

About your second point though:
    There is a little-known feature with I believe enables TES members to communicate with each other, rather than us having to leave our email addresses in public view.

Click on your profile picture in the top right of your screen. You will find a drop-down menu there, and one of the headings is 'conversations'... this enables you to communicate with other TES members as you can select who you would like to invite into a conversation.

I used to think that this feature was only for authors, but I recently successfully tried it with one of my buyers who is not an author and this showed me that it works.
    Quite why this has not been more widely publicised and/or why TES have not responded to our many mentions of how great it would be to have such a feature :rolleyes:, I don't know :confused:... but the fact is, it is there!

I just hope I shan't be receiving messages on there from all of you who read this, just to prove that you've found it too ;):D.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2019
    nwilkin likes this.