1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

An Unorthodox Question

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by LouisArmstrong1940, Jun 19, 2019.

1. I am moving from Colorado, USA to Shanghai China. In my state it is legal to smoke marijuana and I do so because of its calming effects. I smoke about 1 joint every 2-3days. I will NOT smoke in china and understand the risks while in China, but I am curious about the medical exam for residency. Do they test for drugs on the medical exam. I called a few hospitals and was informed there isn't a drug test but it could be requested at any time. I'm curious if anyone else smoked previous to the medical exam. What were the results?

2. february31st

february31st Established commenter

Stop smoking now and drink plenty of water!

3. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

Well, LouisArmstrong1940, Mrs. Hippopotamus and I like to lie around in a huge bath of mud, as we find that this has a calming effect, as well as cooling the blood.

As for the Chinese medical test or tests, I seem to remember that it was not very thorough. At the hospital we had X-rays, I recall, and that was bad news for one of our new colleagues. We were also asked to provide "specimens" and pee into little plastic cups. Gan bei!

4. teachtronic

teachtronic New commenter

medical exams are for screening for the purposes of detecting diseases or dangerous pathogens in your body via a few simple blood tests. You should be fine, after all this is its not a doping test where the presence of PED's and drugs are actively searched for.

5. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

Some schools do test for drugs, but how you would ask about this without "giving yourself away" is another matter. Just ask your school politely what they test for, and see where that gets you

6. gulfgolf

gulfgolf Established commenter

Stop smoking now. Regardless of the visa test, you don’t want to find yourself involved in any sort of kerfuffle in China with weed in your system.

7. amysdad

amysdad Established commenter

Stop smoking now. Do not smoke anywhere in the world while you are teaching in China. The drugs test here will most likely request a sample of your hair - this means they can identify what drugs you have taken in the last 90 days, not just the last two or three. If drugs are identified, then you will not get your visa and you will have to leave the country and not be permitted to return - there will be no discussion about this.

8. taiyah

taiyah Occasional commenter

From your post, is it safe to say OP that it's a part of your lifestyle therefore you fall under a long-term user? If the answer is yes, you'll need more than 300 days to clear the traces out of your hair follicles. The 90 days clearing window highly depend on the individual and thier term of use. Mary Janes, along with Koke have been tried and tested for decades which means labs are 100% accurate on the elivated body chemicals and hormones they are looking for.

You pose a daunting task to yourself, as you stated, you reap the benefit from its use which means your dopamine levels are always higher (no pun intended) than the norm. It's a hard task for you as you are essentially going cold turkey.

It's a very bold move that's for sure. One that could possibly end your international career if found positive and deported.

9. sidekick125

sidekick125 New commenter

A few years ago, in Beijing, quite often the police would go to nightclubs and bars popular with westerners and lock everyone inside. You could only leave once you gave an on the spot urine sample, if it indicated positive, you were deported immediately. No going home, no time to notify work etc.

So I would quit whilst you're ahead.

10. whereflowersgrow

whereflowersgrow New commenter

Shave your head. No, wait - better to wax it, as the substance may remain in your follicles. I've heard of drugs tests being used in China and SE Asia by schools who actively want to get rid of staff, as 'most' people are likely to fail...... But I don't think a drugs test would be a regular part of a medical test for a visa for China.

11. Newstein

Newstein New commenter

In 2014 your doctor had to sign this: Check with a medical professional.

外 国 人 体 格 检 查 记 录

PHYSICAL EXAMINATION RECORD FOR FOREIGNER

姓名

Name

性别

Sex

□男 Male

□女 Female

出生日期

Birth Day Month Year

照片

Photo

现在通讯地址

Present postal address

国 籍

Nationality

出生地址

Birth Place

血型

Blood Type

过去是否患有下列疾病:(每项后面请回签“否”或“是”)

Have you ever had any of the following diseases?(Each item must be answered“Yes”or“No”)

斑疹伤塞 Typhus fever □No □Yes 回归热 Relapsing fever □No □Yes

小儿麻痹症 Poliomyelitis □No □Yes 菌 痢 Bacillary dysentery□No □Yes

白 喉 Diphtheria □No □Yes 布氏杆菌病 Brucellosis □No □Yes

猩红热 Scarlet fever □No □Yes 病毒性肝炎 Viral hepatitis □No □Yes

伤寒和付伤寒 Typhoid and paratyphoid fever □No □Yes

流行性脑脊髓膜炎 Epidemic cerebrospinal meningitis □No □Yes

产褥期链球菌感染 Puerperal streptococcus infection □No □Yes

是否患有下列危及公共秩序和公共安全的病症:(每项后面请答“否”或“是”)

Do you have any of the following diseases or disorders endangering the public order and security?

(Each item must be answered“Yes”or“No”)

毒物瘾 Toxicomania □No □Yes

精神错乱Mental confusion □No □Yes

精神病 Psychosis:燥狂型 Manic psychosis □No □Yes

妄想型 Paranoid psychosis □No □Yes

幻觉型 Hallucinatory psychosis □No □Yes

身高 厘米

Height cm

体重 公斤

Weight Kg

血压 毫米汞柱

/ Blood pressure mmHg

发育情况

Development

营养情况

Nourishment

颈部

Neck

视力 左L

Vision 左R

矫正视力 左L

Corrected vision 左R

Eyes

辨色力

Colour sense

皮肤

Skin

淋巴结

Lymph nodes

Ears

Nose

扁桃体

Tonsils

Heart

Lungs

腹部

Abdomen

脊柱

Spine

四肢

Extremities

神经系统

Nervous System

其它所见

Other abnormal findings

胸部X线

检查结果

(附检查报告单)

Chest X-ray Exam

(attached chest X-ray report)

心电图

ECG

化验室检查

(包括爱滋病、梅毒等

血清学检查)

Laboratory exam

(Attached test report of AIDS, Syphilis,etc)

未发现患有下列检疫传染病和危害公共健康的疾病

None of the following diseases or disorders has found during the present examination

霍乱 Cholera 性病 Venereal Disease

黄热病 Yellow fever 肺结核 Lung tuberculosis

鼠疫 Plague 爱滋病 AIDS

麻风 Leprosy 精神病 Psychosis

意见 检查单位盖章

Suggestion Official Stamp

医师签字 日期

Signature of physician Date

12. frogusmaximus

frogusmaximus Occasional commenter

Blood and Urine test every year in my SE Asian location.

13. the hippo

Well, some schools just want blood and sweat!

frogusmaximus, yasf and afterdark like this.
  14. gulfgolf

15. amysdad

amysdad Established commenter

gulfs, that article is interesting but a pretty sweeping generalization. Yes, there are problems with some of the bilingual and language schools, but not all.

TBH I'm not sure I'd want someone who is daft enough to work in China without a visa to be teaching my kids!

16. gulfgolf

Absolutely true. I was rushing out the door and posted without commentary. Sorry.
    I certainly don’t agree with the article overall and in general the proper schools should provide more protection. But the drug testing piece seemed relevant here- best to avoid any issue there, as China will not care that it was legally consumed in another country.

17. the hippo

gulfers, old chap, I have to say that the piece you posted was a tad alarmist. Mrs. Hippo and I enjoyed our five happy years in Shenzhen very much. (Well, okay, yes, she did have some pollution-related health issues during our fifth year.) Of course it almost goes without saying that good schools, whether in China or anywhere else, try to look after their teaching staff properly and have a proper HR department to deal with any little bumps or wrinkles that may appear. Scummy schools (and there were plenty of them in the ME) will always treat their teachers with an indifference bordering on contempt.

18. englishdragon

englishdragon Occasional commenter

Copied from US Consulate Brock (Chengdu) writing on the WeChat Group: U.S. Citizens in Guizhou, 2019.06.04

"A lot of chatter on our Chengdu WeChat group about hair testing for drugs. I want to share a recent article (in Chinese only – sorry) about this topic. The Sichuan PSB is going to implement hair follicle testing for drugs across the province in 2019 as the standard. This has already happened in Shanghai, Guangzhou, and Beijing and will likely be implemented more broadly across the country.

Please see this excerpt from the Travel.State.gov website about drug and alcohol enforcement in China: “Police regularly conduct unannounced drug tests on people suspected of drug use - including foreign citizens. Police may require you to provide a urine, blood, or hair follicle sample on short notice, and may force you to participate in the collection. A positive finding, even if the drug was consumed prior to arriving in China, can lead to immediate detention, fines, deportation, and/or a ban from re-entering China.”

The U.S. Consulate in Chengdu is aware that hair follicle testing is now routine, but head shaving is definitely not the standard procedure. A case in Shanghai where this happened seems to be a bit of an anomaly. If you hear of cases like this in Sichuan, Yunnan, Chongqing, or Guizhou, please let us know as we are very interested to track these developments. Stay safe everyone! Just say no to drugs!
    "

The following linked article is in Chinese, with a Baidu machine translation cut and pasted below.
    http://scnews.newssc.org/system/20190524/000967443.html

Baidu translation of the article above: Did you take drugs? A pinch of hair can be used to identify the comprehensive implementation of hair testing technology in Sichuan this year. On May 24, 2019, 07:13:43 Source: Editor Du Yuquan, author of Chengdu Business Daily: Xu Chengsong, 23, the police of Guangyuan Lizhou, Sichuan, released news. Recently, the local police for the first time investigated and dealt with a drug abuse case through hair testing. In the case, the police found the ice drug ingredients in the hair samples of drug addicts by testing and identifying them, so as to determine the illegal facts of drug abuse by the other side. Chengdu Business Daily-Red Star News reporter learned from the anti-drug headquarters of Sichuan Public Security Bureau that the technology of hair detection is now mature and applied in the actual combat against drugs. Sichuan began to use this technology in 2018, and will be fully implemented in 2019. Compared with routine urine and blood tests, this technique has considerable advantages in terms of detection time. It can effectively screen invisible drug users and dynamically monitor drug rehabilitation and rehabilitation groups without dead angle. The man refused to admit to revealing the secret of drug abuse by hair test. At about 16 o'clock on May 15, Jialing Police Station of Guangyuan Lizhou District Public Security Bureau of Sichuan received a report from a crowd in its jurisdiction that Zhang Mou, his son, had taken drugs. The police immediately rushed out to Zhangmou's house and took it back to the police station for investigation. According to the survey, Zhang Mou, 29, was reported to have taken drugs by his family in early March this year. At that time, police in police stations tested their urine positive for methamphetamine (commonly known as methamphetamine), but Zhang refused to admit drug abuse. After multiple checks, the evidence is insufficient and can not be dealt with. With the experience of the last time, Zhang Mou refused to admit that he was taking drugs because he was positive for methamphetamine in urine. In view of the last situation and two reports of drug abuse by his family, the police decided to use the latest testing methods to test whether Zhang was taking drugs. Lizhou police contacted the drug control and anti-drug team of Sichuan Public Security Bureau and sent Zhang Mou's hair samples to the forensic identification center for professional identification. The results showed that Zhang Mou's hair contained methamphetamine. In front of this evidence, Zhang finally confessed the illegal fact that he took methamphetamine. This is also the first time that local police have investigated drug abuse cases through hair testing. At present, Zhang Mou has been in administrative detention for 15 days according to law, and has decided to isolate him for two years. Advantages: A pinch of hair can be used to detect drug abuse. The Ministry of Public Security's "Relevant Opinions on Determining the Illegal Activities of Methamphetamine Consumption Based on Laboratory Testing Conclusions" in 2015 clearly stipulates that it is scientific and feasible to identify methamphetamine abuse through laboratory testing of specific target substances, and it excludes drug use by the tested persons, as well as being deceived and coerced, etc. In the case of passive intake, laboratory test results can directly be used as a basis for identifying drug abuse behavior. Hair testing technology is to collect the hair of drug users, extract it in the laboratory, analyze it, and finally issue a test report. Heroin, methamphetamine, ketamine, ecstasy, cocaine and other drugs can be analyzed. Xu Buyi, Senior Engineer of Drug Laboratory of Sichuan Public Security Bureau, introduced that the technology of hair drug detection is mature and has been applied in drug control practice. Compared with routine urine test and blood test, hair test has considerable time-effect advantages for drug users. "Urine testing is generally used to detect drug abuse within 7 days. Hair testing can reflect the history of drug abuse. It can detect the situation before 10 days, while blood can only detect the situation within a few hours." Due to the advantage of time, the technology of hair testing is more conducive to the effective screening of invisible drug addicts. For the monitoring of drug rehabilitation and rehabilitation groups, due to the absence of regular urine testing, the introduction of hair testing technology can dynamically monitor the invisible drug addicts without dead corners, forming a deterrent, eliminating the fluke mentality of evading re-examination and curbing the demand for relapse.

Popularization of Hair Drug Detection Technology in Sichuan Province This year. Article 7 of the Measures for the Identification of Drug Addiction, which was officially implemented on April 1, 2017, stipulates three necessary conditions for the identification of drug addiction: detection of drugs in blood or urine; evidence of drug use; history of drug abuse or detection of drugs in hair. Xu Buyi introduced that the results of hair test are of great significance to the identification of drug addiction and drug addiction. By comparing the results of hair test and urine test, the drug abuse behavior of drug users can be judged accordingly. If the results of hair test and urine test are positive, it can be concluded that the inspected personnel are addicted to drugs in the near future and before; if the hair test is positive and the urine test is negative, it indicates that the inspected personnel have not taken drugs in the near future, but have taken drugs before; if the hair test is negative, the urine test is positive, it means that they have not taken drugs before, but in the near future. Drug abuse behavior; if both are negative, it means that they have not had drug abuse behavior in the near future and in the past. Xu Buyi introduced the technology of hair detection in Sichuan in 2018. At present, the main detection institutions are the provincial public security department and the third-party detection agencies. In addition, some city and state police have the corresponding conditions and capabilities to carry out the detection. This year, Sichuan will fully implement this technology. Chengdu Business Daily-Red Star Journalist Du Yuquan Intern Wu Weixin

19. the hippo

So could it be a case of hair today, gone tomorrow?

englishdragon and briancant like this.
  20. briancant

briancant Occasional commenter

Having read all of this I would say stay in Colorado. It sounds far more civilized.