1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

An unexpected pleasure

Discussion in 'Personal' started by foxtail3, Jul 3, 2015.

1. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

We had a longstanding arrangement to meet friends for lunch today in Winchester. What we hadn't realised was that the 'Hat Fair' was on this weekend. Car parking problems etc etc.

But- the town was full of groups of school children with large papier mâché birds and homemade hats. There was music, a procession through the streets and a wonderful air of jollity. We had a delicious lunch and strolled back through the cathedral grounds, where there was amazing street theatre. One bloke was so mesmerising that the crowds were ten deep all around him. He made a fortune and well deserved too! A walk by the river completed the afternoon.

i was looking forward to the lunch, but this was a really unexpected pleasure!

2. Oh, I didn't know this was on either and I'm 11 miles away. Hope your lunch was good. Where did you go?

3. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

Brasserie Blanc! Atlantic hake fillet with clams, new potatoes and samphire and the most wonderful pistachio soufflé with chocolate ice cream.

4. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

We visited Edam a few years ago. There was a local festival in which children went into the shops, sang a song and were rewarded with a small gift. My youngest, aged about five, sang lustily in a sweet shop and was delighted to be given a present. it was lovely surprise to see little groups of children travelling round the town visiting the shops. It felt very innocent and old fashioned, and lovely! There weren't hoards of parents chaperoning the children, as I suspect there would have been here.

5. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

Hoards of teachers chaperoning the children in Winchester. Lots of singing and dancing.