1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice
  3. The Teacher Q&A will be closing soon.

If you have any information that you would like to keep or refer to in the future please can you copy and paste the information to a format suitable for you to save or take screen shots of the questions and responses you are interested in.

Don’t forget you can still use the rest of the forums on theTes Community to post questions and get the advice, help and support you require from your peers for all your teaching needs.

Dismiss Notice

An uncooked British breakfast...

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by anon3372, Mar 25, 2011.

1. is there such a thing?
    I teach a couple of English classes within my company and they keep asking when I will be bringing in an English breakfast.
    I don't have cooking facilities (we have a microwave but I can't exactly do a Full British in one of those and they don't want porridge (eejits).
    Is there anything else (that I have forgotten)?
    Cold breakfast is something I consider continental (we don't eat warm breakfasts over 'ere, tha knows) - or cereal, fruit salad etc. but that is not typically British, is it?

2. landaise

landaise Occasional commenter

Scotch pancakes, can be reheated in microwave. How about a type of sticky bread bun, such as hot cross buns, (similar to fruit teacakes, after all ) or chelsea buns. Agree about scones, too.
    Or how about those delicious soft Scots Rolls that they serve warm (so you microwave them!) with their cooked breakfasts, lovely.
    I made Parkin last week and OH had that for breakfast. We've been known to eat Flapjacks, too...

3. ah, Hot Cross Buns - that is a good idea. I can link that into an Easter lesson thingie!

4. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

Only on Good Friday though, that used to be the only time you could buy them. I can remember my mother rushing to the local bakers to get them in time for breakfast.

5. Pancakes - make them at home and microwave to warm through.
    Do you have a toaster or could you takeone in? Toast and marmalade is very british (or take in cold toast butdo not microwave)
    Cold Yorkshire pudding with treacle (if you are a northener)
    Cold pizza
    Cold curry

6. [​IMG]

7. landaise

landaise Occasional commenter

Quite! Since when are they either British or breakfasts?
    Another suggestion: pain perdu or whatever you call it: I've heard it called eggy bread, French toast and Gipsies toast. It heats up OK in the microwave, a bit too soft but you can always slighty overcrisp first to compensate. When I make it for breakfast, it tends to be made the previous day and eaten at room temperature (sorry, but at 5.30am I don't feel like making things like that from scratch). Muffins ( English or American variety ) or crumpets could also be possible, no?