1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

An ubiquitous or a ubiquitous?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by enigmatic, Jul 24, 2008.

1. I can't decide...

2. I can't decide...

3. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

'an'.....

4. A ubiquitous xxx - the rule is that it follows the phonic sound of the first syllable in the following word, in this case "yew".
    This is the same rule that gives us "a university".

5. The ubiquitous

6. It wouldn't be correct to use 'the' in the context - unfortunately, as that would solve my dilemma!

:( still 50:50...

7. stick an extra adjective in

a completely ubiquitous . . .

an utterly ubiquitous . . .

an undeniably uniquitous . . .

There is no problem so intractable that throwing extra words at it cannot solve it

8. Pixel is, like, so right

9. Yuk, sorry packer but this is a scientific report, not flowery prose! No chance I can get away with that... :(

I appreciate the help though :)

10. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Use 'A' before 'u' and 'eu' when they sound like 'you': e.g., a european, a university, a unit.

11. nomad

nomad Star commenter

12. I think the a's have it! :)

13. Ta all - 'tis my misfortune to have fallen into the generation that weren't taught grammar explicitly.

14. My vote's with 'A' too...

*wonders if enigmatic would mind if KJB diverts thread momentarily to say I am STILL trying to find that beautiful hair 'item' you were wearing the other week... Did you say TopShop?

15. Yes it was TopShop, in the sale rack of the accessories bit... :)

I have more new exciting hair things now - birthday presents - I am adorned! :D

16. Happy Birthday!!!!

Done every Top Shop for miles and I can't find one anywhere... :(

Oh well, I'll keep looking - I wondered if I'd mistaken the shop.

17. Aw no :( well Miss Selfridge have some lovely hair things at the moment - sort of bohemian chic, if that appeals?