1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

An outstanding lesson for year 6

Discussion in 'Primary' started by blackpurse, Nov 26, 2010.

1. I would like to do a one off lesson next week where I inspire the children to write for a substained period using good features of writing that we have been learning about. All ideas appreciated.

2. I would like to do a one off lesson next week where I inspire the children to write for a substained period using good features of writing that we have been learning about. All ideas appreciated.

3. What genre have you been doing?

4. Narrative, our next topic is poems using personification but was thinking of leaving this until after Christmas and focussing on maybe a piece of non fiction, a letter or a recount maybe. During the input i wanted to do some kind of sentence level work which will be evident in their substained writing. Sorry if it all sounds a bit woolly, I'm very concerned that the Christmas production has taken over and any proper Numeracy and Literacy lessons have taken a back seat. I would like to complete at least one good Literacy lesson next week.

5. inky

inky Lead commenter

The Christmas production is surely part of literacy too? The children are speaking and listening, learning stories and reading playscripts. Why not fret less and do calm grammar, punctuation and handwriting- based activities during their interrupted days? Keep up with the weekly Big Write, if you do it and can find the time [and good luck with finding the time to mark it] but accept that they are learning in a different way these next few weeks. It's not wasted timeunless you undervalue it yourself.
    We don't half work ourselves into a state[​IMG]

6. inky

inky Lead commenter

Sounds like a bad attack of APP-itis to me.

7. inky

inky Lead commenter

Perhaps you should consider a sort of 'Behind the Scenes of the Christmas Production' sort of thing. Mock interviews with harrassed TAs as they alter costumes, struggling to learn lines, all the major/minor organisational spills and thrills of getting it right on the night publicity/seating/refreshments/etc] the hideous boredom of serving while only standing and waiting.
    the possibilities are endless, though perhaps a bit high-octane with everyhting going on. Which was my original point.
    No. On reflection, I'd stick to maintenance doses of grmammar, punctuation and handwriting. Unless...

8. Shouldn't every lesson be outstanding and inspire the children?

With my tongue in my cheek - dc88 [​IMG]

9. inky

inky Lead commenter

It goes without saying[​IMG]

10. Do you mean, some aren't[​IMG]

11. inky

inky Lead commenter

12. Some people really have nothing better to do!!

13. Look on www.cantbearsedtothink4myself.com - loads of outstanding lessons that inspire the children and enrich the curriculum for a substained period of time.
    Seriously though, if you want an outstanding lesson, you need a good teacher and your own ideas. Why do you want them to write for a sustained period of time? Who cares how long they write for as long as they're writing good stuff and making improvements.

14. inky

inky Lead commenter

Blackpurse, I tried to help. When you ignored my suggestion and started another thread, I was offended.You didn't have to like my suggestion but you could at least have acknowledged it
    Think up your own lessons in future. And, when someone offers you a bit of help, say thank you instead of doing a flounce.

15. inky

inky Lead commenter

[​IMG]
    Thank you, sulla.

16. Msz

Msz Established commenter

I know it's shocking when they could better use the time to plan your outstanding lesson for you [​IMG]
    I'm afraid the delivery and enthusiasm of the teacher are what separates a good lesson from an outstanding one and only you can provide that.