1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

An open letter to Nicky Morgan

Discussion in 'Education news' started by luv2teach6, Mar 7, 2016.

1. luv2teach6

luv2teach6 New commenter

Dear Nicky Morgan,
    I am a primary school teacher and this week my class have been discussing the importance of having morals and fairness in society. We would really appreciate your views regarding our debate scenarios.

Scenario one: Ten men are building a bridge to provide a valuable link between two countries. They have been given four years to complete the 12 foot wide bridge. They are three years into the build when their employer decides that, after viewing the bridges of other countries, they want a wider, longer bridge. They also conclude that there are not enough supports in the sections already built and so they knock holes in the completed section and demand that they are filled, the bridge is widened and the new length completed, all still within the same four year time frame. In addition, they remove all equipment that the workers use to measure the bridge, instead demanding that they design their own way of measuring. If the bridge falls short or if all holes are not filled, the workers will have to start the bridge over again. Is this morally right?

Scenario two: Two political parties, red and blue, are battling it out to win a majority vote and ultimately, control of their country. To win the election, one party must win 326 seats or more. Two years into their campaign and after a lot of hard work, the blue party are in the lead and look set to win. However, in the third year, it is announced that: some new red constituencies have been formed to make the total in line with other countries; new housing that is only offered to red party voters has been built in the heart of the blue constituencies; and the blue party are told that, if they fail to win, a new election will be held with the changed parameters the very next year. Finally, the blue party are not told how many constituencies there now are so they have no idea how many seats they need to win to gain an overall majority. Is this morally right?

Scenario three: A woman is working in her local supermarket. She is ambitious and is working towards a promotion. In order to be successful, her boss tells her that she must learn to stack four shelves in four hours and that her promotion will depend on a supervisors observation at the end of her current shift. Three hours into her observation, she receives a surprise visit from her boss who tells her that he has decided to: widen the shelves; remove some of the items already stacked on the three full shelves and add an additional fifth shelf to the challenge. The woman is also told that, should she fail to fill all five shelves including filling the gaps left by the changed lines, she will face having to start her training again. If this is not enough, all labels are removed from the shelves so that the woman has to guess where everything should be placed. Placing the wrong item also means failure of the task and no promotion. Is this morally right?

At the end of the challenge, the lead bridge builder decided to leave his country to work in another one where the bosses were fair. Similarly, the leader of the blue party quit and started a business as a web designer and the woman from the supermarket, well she had to leave her job through ill health and never returned. She lost her home and spent the next few years living with relatives and drawing benefits.

I was very proud of the ten year old children in my class for being able to understand and discuss all three scenarios. Their conclusions were as follows - without change, there will be: no more skilled construction workers to complete the bridge; no one to lead the country; and no one to fill the empty supermarket shelves. But most of all, my children showed their understanding of morals by concluding that they never wanted to be as morally inept as the boss in each scenario.

We would really value your opinion and feedback on our discussions and look forward to your response.

Regards,
    A proud but dejected Year Six teacher

2. stupot101

stupot101 Established commenter

+100. Absolutely brilliant!

(whoops. sorry. was I supposed to put an exclamation mark there?:) )

luv2teach6 and wanet like this.
  3. nical73

nical73 Occasional commenter

I love this! Yes - this does require an exclamation mark but sadly won't get a mark on the SPAG paper.
    Fantastic work luvtoteach 6.
    Do not hold your breath for any reply though love. I wrote to my MP and Nicky Morgan over three weeks ago and have still not had any reply.

delnon and luv2teach6 like this.
  4. luv2teach6

luv2teach6 New commenter

No, I'm not expecting a reply but writing it made me feel better and made our staff room chuckle at the thought of her trying to understand it. ;)

cazzmusic1 and delnon like this.
  5. SparkyTeaching

SparkyTeaching New commenter

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2016