1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

An offer from the Secretary of State about the English Baccalaureate

Discussion in 'Religious Education' started by reader42, Jan 14, 2011.

1. reader42

reader42 New commenter

The Secretary of State; Michael Gove has today offered the possibility of some broadening of the subjects currently included in the English Baccalaureate. See http://bit.ly/dWpMY0

This is NATRE's Press Release on the matter - it is on the website www.natre.org.uk (in the news section).

The National Association of Teachers of Religious Education (NATRE) welcomes the Secretary of State?s willingness to take on board constructive comments about the subjects that might count ?within the five pillars? of the English Baccalaureate. It has been widely reported that Headteachers, subject teachers, professional associations and parents support the inclusion of Religious Studies as making a valuable academic contribution to the Humanities field of study.

NATRE welcomes the Secretary of State's desire to create a rigorous and worthwhile measure of success. This would make a real and positive difference to the decisions many schools are already making about what GCSE subjects to offer to students.

2. poppy2004

poppy2004 New commenter

That would be fantastic if this was to happen.
    Is there any mention of when it might happen? I know that options at my school are already affected for the current year 9 due to the new English Baccalaureate...

3. reader42

reader42 New commenter

Me too. Not sure about the timing but the pressure is certainly mounting. I guess the answer is for us all to reply to his request for a constructive argument for why RS should be included. Even if we all receive the same letter - it appears to make a difference. It will make even more difference if you also write to your MP who has an obligation to reply. Worth a stamp!

4. poppy2004

poppy2004 New commenter

That'll be (one) of my jobs today then!

Everyone - KEEP FIGHTING!!!! [​IMG]

5. NoseyMatronType

NoseyMatronType Senior commenter

6. deut

deut New commenter

7. reader42

reader42 New commenter

A number of people have arranged meetings with their local MPs to put the case for including RE. Most MPs hold local surgeries, so if you write to ask for a meeting, they cannot reasonably refuse you. The message is very simple...RS is a well respected, rigorous academic subject. Include it alongside History and Geography in the English Baccalaureate. Once you have explained your view, you might ask them what they are going to do about it.

8. Just don't invite the Telegraph!

9. I think it's even more ironic that he refers to the 'five pillars' of the e bacc. Wonder where he got that idea from? An RE lesson perhaps?