1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

An MP's role in Parliament.

Discussion in 'Personal' started by jubilee, Oct 21, 2019.

1. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

I like this statement from Edmund Burke in 1774 that was highlighted in a letter to The Guradian today.

"Your representative owes you, not his industry only, but his judgement: and he betrays, instead of serving you, if he sacrifices it to your opinion."

2. anotherauntsally

anotherauntsally Lead commenter

3. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

Thank you for that, #anotherauntsally

anotherauntsally likes this.
  4. colpee

colpee Star commenter

i.e you might not get what you think you are voting for, even if it has been promised to you.

5. moscowbore

moscowbore Lead commenter

Of course MPs should vote with their judgement irrespective of deselection committees.

6. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Seems rather idealised and ignorant of the operations of party whips.

peter12171 likes this.
  7. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

No. You the voter are not the only constituent and other constituents who voted in the same way as you will not have identical opinions to yours. Your MP is elected to consider issues based on more than just your opinion.
    it is negligent of a PM or government to promise the electorate that something will be passed in parliament. They can only promise that they will put a bill before parliament.

TCSC47, Alice K and monicabilongame like this.
  8. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

If only they would do that instead of continually bleating that the people must decide.

bombaysapphire, colpee and Brunel like this.
  9. colpee

colpee Star commenter

Oh I know what it is meant to mean. Unfortunately politicians are rarely good judges of a situation, and are just as likely to vote for personal preferences and political favours rather than any analysed judgement of what is best for society.

peter12171, Catgirl1964 and dumpty like this.
  10. artboyusa

artboyusa Star commenter

GASP! I am shocked to hear this. Shocked, I say. All my trust in the lofty ideals and self sacrificing selflessness of politicians is destroyed.
    Thanks. Thanks a lot (sniff).

11. Jude Fawley

Jude Fawley Star commenter

Since joining the common market and seeing more and more legislation taken from our parliament, British MPs are now little more than middle management. There are no longer any great orators or statemen/women, only administrators.

Few can make a speech without referring to notes and hardly any show any passion or commitment.

12. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

With our first past the post system, MPs are happy to take up their seats when they have the majority of the vote. They can't then, move the goal posts after, say, a referendum. No matter what their person views, they are obliged to follow the instructions of the majority, just like when they were elected. It is their duty to do everything they can to deliver the result, not just keep saying n0. no. no.

13. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Lead commenter

Should they deliver that irrespective of the consequences?

TCSC47 and Brunel like this.
  14. Dragonlady30

They should work to ensure that the consequences were a reflection of the wishes of their constituents.

15. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Lead commenter

I don't think MPs should work hard to ensure all their constituents are worse off, even if it is a consequence of the wishes of some of their constituents.

TCSC47, MAGAorMIGA and ilovesooty like this.
  16. Dragonlady30

What is the point of democracy when MPs just do what they want?

By 'some of their constituents', do you mean the MAJORITY?

17. burajda

burajda Star commenter

Post Brexit, I look forward to us having better quality politicians. Outside of the EU our MPs will soon be more like the great orators they have in the USA and Australia.

Brunel likes this.
  18. burajda

burajda Star commenter

FPTP means that they rarely represent the majority of their constituents.

jubilee likes this.
  19. MAGAorMIGA

MAGAorMIGA Star commenter

MPs need to take an awful lot more into account than just the wishes of their constituents. They also need to consider the national interest. At the end of the day that should be their prime motivation. Sometimes, too, they need to consider their constituents' interests, when they don't coincide with their wishes. If a majority of their constituents take a decision which will result in significant levels of harm to a minority of their constituents, then MPs are fully justified in ignoring or failing to act on those views. The Brexit decision is like a small majority of passengers on a bus ordering the driver to drive the vehicle into the hedge, then berating the driver when, reacting to the screams of the other passengers, he tries not to do so.

ilovesooty, TCSC47, jubilee and 2 others like this.
  20. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

There is no 'obliged' about it with an advisory referendum.
    Make that referendum obligatory restrospectively and the Electoral Commission will step in and annul the result for electoral illegalities.