1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

An Invitation to History Teachers and others

Discussion in 'History' started by Politeia, Apr 10, 2012.

1. Dear all,
    On April 26th Politeia are launching our History and the New Curriculum, the inaugural publication of Politeia’s Curriculum Series 2012 which has already been the subject of much media attention. We would like to invite members of the teaching community with a keen interest in the future of history syllabus to attend the launch.
    Historians Robert Tombs and David Abulafia will be present and will explain what is currently wrong with school history and the principles needed for the future.
    The launch will be from 12-1 PM at 33 Catherine Place, SW1E 6DY and we very much hope that you might be able to join us.
    Places are extremely limited and will be allocated on a first-come-first-served basis- please RSVP to secretary2@politeia.co.uk.

See you there!

2. Morninglover

Morninglover Lead commenter

and I enjoyed being taught by Robert Tombs, so I heartily endorse this comment! Sadly I am back at work by Thursday...

3. I live in Asia so I won't be able to make it. The opportunity to share ideas on this important development would be much appreciated.

4. Having lurked for years and never commented I feel I have to on this occasion - I am struck by the irony of this message, explaining 'what is currently wrong with school history' (a nice opening gambit on a history teachers' forum!) and inviting teachers to a launch which is during state school term times. Perhaps what is wrong with think tanks is that they don't take time to find out what the real situation is before criticising it. For as long as Mr Gove and others believe the 'myth' (see Ofsted's report on History teaching) that we don't teach British history (etc) we are facing serious difficulties...

5. voodoo child

voodoo child New commenter

Agree totally - of course they have to launch this at a time when those in the know are unable to comment. They wouldn't want to have to defend the nonsense that they believe.

6. Laroche,
    You will agree there are some shortcomings with the way history is taught. I would have, in retrospect, added 'and what is currently right', but it is clear that some things need to change.
    The date is not a cynical ploy to round up all the people who can't defend the status quo: I doubt it is going to be an 'attack' at all. Either way, a few TES members are coming.
    Most importantly, however, Politeia will probably publish the dicussion online, at which point I'll pop back on here and link you to it. I don't know if you'll agree with all of it, but I reckon there's a lot of a good inside. It is, above all, a defence of teachers and teaching, that I promise.
    Take a lunch break! Come and join the debate.
    Alex

7. Very happy to debate, but I don't think there are that many shortcomings in the current status quo - I agree that not every history teacher delivers what the status quo suggests should happen, that's different, and many history teachers don't like GCSE as it stands - but KS3 and A-level, and the ethos behind them - quite happy with.
    I don't think the date was a cynical ploy - just that the date and the invitation was indicative or a lack of awareness of the constraints on teachers' time, and that it might not be surprising to find the report also somewhat out of touch with the reality of classroom teaching and current requirements.