1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

An Introduction To Religion - a great new resource for year 7 next term?

Discussion in 'Religious Education' started by durgamata, Jul 19, 2011.

1. durgamata

durgamata Occasional commenter

Hi Guys. matryoshkadoll sent me a pm about her new creation which is an End of Term Quiz. Have you seen it yet? It sounds amazing as it goes over a lot and links with History and Geography too.

You know I like to write a lot, so to save time, I will copy here bits of the letter I sent her, telling her about a new resource I've been working on

.....I have spend all day - and I do mean ALL DAY revising the first of my slide shows about Exploring Religion... You know what it's like. Almost like child-birth, trying to get something creative to your satisfaction. As an RE person I just wanted to get one decent introduction to Religion slide-show up and running, available for teachers to use with year 7's next term.

.... I would love you to have a look at my new version of Exploring Religion. I call it 'Introduction' rather than 'part one' as I hope I have given it the capacity to stand alone. Please, if you do have time, give me some feedback. And if it is appropriate use it with your kids next term and let me know what works or doesn't. It's all based on activities I have used which have been successful, but trying to collect them together and make them into a coherent 'argument' which flows from one idea to the next in a smooth way.

I have incorporated ten 'Activity' slides and am wondering if it would work to use the Slide Show presentation as a Starter Activity, showing it up to and including one Activity, each lesson for year 7 during the Autumn Term.

I think that is the way I would try to use it. There is such a lot in it which needs to be absorbed and assimilated before the next 'episode.' I think that stopping after each activity would also give space for individual teachers to answer questions and for discussion. I do think that what I have done here engages with the issues and questions that many KS3 kids have, even though it originated in a workshop I did with year 1's.

I feel quietly excited because I think it really will help. You know they say, 'Be the best that you can be' - well this is the best that I can do regarding an introduction to Religion (the God Question and RE) for year 7 at this particular point in time.

I am uploading this ppt as a separate resource, not with the 'parts one to seven' which I was struggling with at the weekend. They are still good resources but the aim is that they build on each other and I'm finding that really difficult. When you write on paper you can keep looking back and seeing what you've done but with slide shows you can't do that. I felt as if I was getting 'bogged down' so I went back to 'part one' and just worked on making that stand alone as an introduction.

Well enough chat, I must now upload the blooming thing - plus a reflective activity which I include at the end of it but will upload separately as well.

I can identify so well with what you have been working on. One of the things I love about teaching RE is the way we have to engage with our kids, the motley crew in front of our eyes. We have to connect them with what we are teaching in a much more intense and emotional way than is the case for other subjects - and I have taught many. Much as I love teaching KS3 French or Art, for example, which I have done in several schools and really enjoy, there is not the same intense emotional engagement.

I think that engagement with who they are and where they are coming from matters just as much as the precise content of the curriculum because if there is no engagement there can be no 'learning from' aspect - and that really is the heart of what makes RE so relevant and powerful.

All my love DMC

2. durgamata

durgamata Occasional commenter

- a great new resource for year 7 next term?

durgamata wrote the following post at 19 July 2011 20:15:

.....and she mucked up the formatting - either that or my computer-gremlin is doing overtime as it did work for the end of the piece. Well, no rush anyway as the upload process won't take it. My computer has tummy ache (not surprising as I've been on it for hours and hours. So at the moment this file is refusing to upload. I will try it tomorrow from my mother's computer.

Actually this computer is an angel. It just is getting a bit slow and I think these uploads have a time out function.

anyway, here's my post about the new Introduction To Religion slide-show power point which should soon be up there as a resource.

Hi Guys. matryoshkadoll sent me a pm about her new creation which is an End of Term Quiz. Have you seen it yet? It sounds amazing as it goes over a lot and links with History and Geography too.

You know I like to write a lot, so to save time, I will copy here bits of the reply I sent her, telling her about a new resource I've been working on

.....I have spend all day - and I do mean ALL DAY revising the first of my slide shows about Exploring Religion... You know what it's like. Almost like child-birth, trying to get something creative to your satisfaction.

As an RE person (consultant/supporter-of-colleagues out at the 'battle-front') I just wanted to get one decent 'Introduction to Religion' slide-show up and running, available for teachers to use with year 7's next term. .... I would love you to have a look at my new version of Exploring Religion. I call it 'Introduction' rather than 'part one' as I hope I have given it the capacity to stand alone.

Please, if you do have time, give me some feedback. And if it is appropriate use it with your kids next term and let me know what works or doesn't. It's all based on activities I have used which have been successful, but trying to collect them together and make them into a coherent 'argument' which flows from one idea to the next in a smooth way has proved quite a challenge!

I have incorporated ten 'Activity' slides at intervals, as I develop the arguments - and am wondering if it would work to use the Slide Show presentation as a Starter Activity, showing it up to and including one Activity, each lesson for year 7 during the Autumn Term. I think that is the way I would try to use it.

There is such a lot of content here, some quite difficult, which needs to be absorbed and assimilated before the next 'episode.' I think that stopping after each 'Activity' would also give space for individual teachers to ask and answer questions and for discussion to develop in a natural way. This is all in line with Accelerated Learning 'bite-size chunks' and giving time for learners to make use of new information or ideas, to process them and link them with existing understanding.

I do think that what I have done here engages with the issues and questions that many KS3 kids have, even though it originated in a workshop I did with year 1's in March. I feel quietly excited because I think it really will help. You know they say, 'Be the best that you can be' - well this is the best that I can do regarding an introduction to Religion (the God Question and RE) for year 7 at this particular point in time. and as I'm going away tomorrow.

I'm going to Shetland, for a family get-together with my musician song-writing, primary-teacher sister (songs uploaded, good for Christmas - but do look at them soon, as I will be taking them off before long.) She has invited us all to come for a couple of weeks to see the Tall Ships Race as well as each other. Because she lives so far away its a rare and special event. I think she's as apprehensive as I am - but we both agree that its a necessary and worthwhile 'cost.' in time, money and emotional stress. This time my other sister is coming with new partner and his kids from prev marriage, too. Very New Millenniumish! It won't be easy but many people don't have the luxury of a family which can to do or wants to do things together like this, from time to time. For us its a rare thing, but my sister is the one who makes it happen. I wonder what special events you are planning over the summer.

I am uploading this ppt as a separate resource, not with the 'parts one to seven' of 'Exploring Religion' which I was struggling with at the weekend. Those ppts are still good resources but the aim there is that they build on each other and I'm finding that really difficult. When you write on paper you can keep looking back and seeing what you've done so you can make the links, but with slide shows you can't do that. I felt as if I was getting 'bogged down' with that, so I went back to 'part one' and just worked on making that stand alone as an introduction.

Well enough chat, I must now upload the blooming thing - plus a reflective activity which I include at the end of the ppt but will upload separately as well.

I can identify so well with what you have been working on. One of the things I love about teaching RE is the way we have to engage with our kids, the motley crew in front of our eyes. We have to connect them with what we are teaching in a much more intense and emotional way than is the case for other subjects - and I have taught many.

Much as I love teaching KS3 French or Art, for example, which I have done in several schools over the years and really enjoy, there is not the same intense emotional engagement.

I think that engagement with who they are and where they are coming from matters just as much as the precise content of the curriculum because if there is no engagement there can be no 'learning from' aspect - and that really is, in my view, the heart of what makes RE so relevant and powerful.

All my love DMC