1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

An interesting thread . . .

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by TheoGriff, Apr 3, 2012.

1. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Look at this.
    What do <u>you</u> feel about the morality of this suggestion? And the practicality?
    Have your say over there!
    Can I still hand my notice in?
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    For the full TES Weekend Workshop programme please visit www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars or contact advice@tes.co.uk for one-to-one sessions.

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

I will reply to this very interesting thread, when I've calmed down and can write a balanced reply, which gives you some idea on my feelings on the morality of the matter.

3. I replied to that thread and obviously Ididn't read it properly. What an outrageous question to ask!!!!!!!!!

4. In defence of the OP, she was just trying to explain her situation honestly and weigh up what would be best for her to do next. I'm not sure what this second thread linking back to the original one is meant to achieve. Holding the OP up as an example of "outrageous" behaviour, as another poster has said, seems rather over the top to me.

5. anon8315

anon8315 Established commenter

i agree Rowntreegirl, especially as minnieminx is someone who posts over here to support and help others, I feel she was just genuinely asking - surely better to ask and then realise that perhaps something isn't appropriate than to do it anyway and not give a sh1t?!

6. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

I'm sorry if I have upset Minnie or anyone else, as it was not my intention at all.
    I wanted to get the views of others on this situation, to show people that Minnie's first idea - which she very quickly withdrew from - is not the way forward.
    The point is that although she<u> did</u> understand straight away, two other posters said that they were baffled by Middlemarch saying that this was not what should be done, so clearly there are a number of people out there who are not seeing it the way that we do.
    And they need to understand exactly what is the correct route in this sort of tricky situation, because otherwise life could be very difficult for them indeed, and we wouldn't want that.
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    For the full TES Weekend Workshop programme please visit www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars or contact advice@tes.co.uk for one-to-one sessions.

7. anon8315

Theo, I understand that but surely it would have been better to post your well written and sound advice on the career clinic thread, wait for somebody to ask a similar question here (if indeed that happened at all) and then provide a link showing your response?
    It has actually made me feel very uncomfortable about posting for advice anywhere here in the future to be honest with you, should someone start a thread like this and evoke the wrath of angry Jobseekers/Headteachers on my head!

8. Lara mfl 05

In response to rowantreegirl's
    "In defence of the OP (minnieminx), she was just trying to explain her situation honestly and weigh up what would be best for her to do next"
    and badgergirl's comments
    " . . . especially as minnieminx is someone who posts over here to support and help others, I feel she was just genuinely asking- surely better to ask and then realise that perhaps something isn't appropriate than to do it anyway "
    Yes, I think we all do appreciate minnieminx's help, suggestions and support on these fora and that's perhaps why we were so surprised by her query, which seemed a bit out of character. Hence Theo's & Middlemarch's comments,to 'reign in' those thoughts, before they got her into trouble by not thinking those suggestions through. They were merely pointing out how the idea would appear to SMT- in a completely different lightand one which could have had far reaching ramifications for her future career prospects.
    If we want 'expert' advice we do need to accept that, sometimes the answer is not what we want to hear, but what we need to! Which if you return to the thread, is exactly what minnieminx has done and appreciates the advice.

9. anon8315

I know you do Theo and sorry if I jumped in a bit too harshly myself: was genuinely really taken aback [​IMG]

10. Lara mfl 05

Apologies if you felt I was judging YOU as a person minnie! Probably feeling a little raw myself, due to personal circumstances at present, and I think I may have 'come over' as a tad harsh!
    Note I said
    We all know you are a genuine professional and very helpful to others.
    So humble apologies from me too
    [​IMG]

11. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

None at all needed. Though those home made buns do look fab, I assume they are yours in your kitchen? :)

Of course...AND you even toasted the Hot Cross Buns so definitely all sorted now.

12. Linda555

Linda555 New commenter

Minnieminx, I am sorry that this has been traumatic, but I must say that I can totally see your point in your original post, and it is only when the realistic picture was laid out clearly by Theo, that it became clear that there were only two options - stay or try to go!
    I also thought the thread became a really good example of how to treat other people, because people who may have seemed critical were very thoughtful in making sure they validated your feelings and showed their respect. So often people don't show respect, and are a bit flippant (or worse) if somebody else feels they have been a bit harsh.
    I wish you all the best, whichever route you choose.

13. dizzymai

dizzymai New commenter

I love a happy ending. [​IMG]

14. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I wouldn't go that far! Feeling a little hurt for a while is all...and hey I'm pretty good at upsetting people without meaning to as well so can hardly be unforgiving of others.
    Thank you.

I know, me too.

If I copy and paste the weird typing, will I get a smiley thing? [​IMG]
    Yes! But it is a huge amount to type just for a face! Goodness knows how others get whole plates of cakes!

15. Lara mfl 05

In my browser, when I post there's a line of icons starting with B I <u>U</u> and ending in a Smiley face[​IMG]. If you right click it will ask you Insert Smiley and gives you a list of options.
    That's a whole new kettle of fish! Theo had a whole thread for learning to post your pictures- lost count of how many failed tries I had!

16. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

I've just found a pack of hot cross buns that are 4 days past their sell-by date in the fridge.
    We're still going to eat them. [​IMG]

17. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Hmn.
    Hmn hmn.
    Yes . . .
    Best wishes

18. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

We've got another 18 in the freezer...
    May I recommend the Co-op's healthy eating HCBs? They are very good and massively fewer calories than the normal ones. They toast brilliantly, too.

19. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Really? I bought healthy eating ones from sainsburys or waitrose (can't remember) and saved a grand total of about 7 calories!

Co-op are the only ones we've not had yet this year, and their truly irresistible ones came out top in The Times taste testing...might have to buy some tomorrow (with healthy eating ones for comparison) while OH is at football. If I hide them in the freezer he'll never know. :)

20. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

[​IMG]
    Do you all realise that by the time you've eaten up your suplies of HCBs with butter dripping off them, it will be the season for . . .
    [​IMG]
    :)
    Best wishes