1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

An Interesting Predicament!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Tom_Pubes, Dec 27, 2015.

1. Tom_Pubes

Tom_Pubes Senior commenter

2. cuteinpuce

cuteinpuce Star commenter

It's a matter for the family, isn't it? I don't see the problem. (Incidentally, the new series of Transparent is even more brilliant than the first.)

sabrinakat likes this.
  3. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

I agree with Cute on this. The decision lies with the children and their parents and the schools have no role in such decisions other than to support them

4. Tom_Pubes

It's an interesting one, isn't it? Like abortion, in terms of discussion.

But what if the child wants full gender reassignment? Should a child of 8 be operated upon for something arguably nonessential? Should parents of such children be allowed to make such a decision? The process is irreversible.

And where do you draw the line at children claiming to be transgender? What about PE classes and changing for such classes? Is it fair on the girls to put a boy in with them on a whim?

5. Didactylos4

As the law currently stands that would be impossible at that age

That in itself is a long argument and an emotive one as well.

Dealing with such things are not beyond the wit and capability of most educators.

sabrinakat likes this.
  6. Tom_Pubes

And yet it is an issue for the school in the article.

7. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

8. Didactylos4

Hence the use of "most" in my post

sabrinakat likes this.
  9. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

If it means something to the child concerned and his parents then the school should support them. As a teacher I would struggle to support their decision not to use the name requested. It has to help to allow the child to explore this possibility as fully as he can.

Didactylos4 likes this.
  10. Didactylos4

May I say Vince (with no fear of it being misinterpreted as an innuendo) that I do admire your *****. :)

Edited to add
    Except by the swear filter :D

11. Tom_Pubes

Using the name is one thing, but what about other activities? For example, swimming. Where does a girl in a boy's body change? Is it fair to put a boy in with the girls to change, bearing in mind it might be uncomfortable for the girls. And vice versa. And as much as we try and accommodate transgender pupils, if we make them change clothes somewhere else on their own, aren't we in danger of being accused of segregation?

12. cuteinpuce

In a cubicle.

13. Tom_Pubes

Segregation.

14. cuteinpuce

Er...no. The availability of cubicles means that people don't need to use segregated changing facilities.

bombaysapphire likes this.
  15. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

How does refusing to use the name solve the problem? The child has declared that he is a boy. Where he changes is already an issue. I am sure it can be resolved in discussion with the child and his parents.

Didactylos4 likes this.
  16. Didactylos4

Which is perfectly acceptable if agreed with the child and the parents beforehand

edited to add
    I see I was beaten to it

17. cuteinpuce

i.e. the way any sensible school would deal with the situation.

Didactylos4 likes this.
  18. Tom_Pubes

I'm not swing either way on this one, just pointing out the issues. If parents are happy and arrangements can be made, fine. But what if parents insist that their boy who insists he is a girl wants to be treated exactly like other girls in the class? And what if the parents of some, or all, or even one of the girls object to having a boy change (i.e. get naked) with their daughters? How do we work that one out?

19. Tom_Pubes

Easy if everyone cooperates.

20. cuteinpuce

You discuss the various concerns with those who have them, at length if necessary, and agree a solution acceptable to all. It's not brain surgery.