1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

An interesting one...

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by pink_reindeer, Nov 13, 2018.

1. pink_reindeer

pink_reindeer Occasional commenter

I worked at my previous UK secondary school for 11 years. During this time, I managed to get my (pretty work-shy, primary trained) friend a regular stint as a supply teacher. In 2017, I went abroad to teach. My friend was still called in from time to time. She is paid on MPS. Since returning home (my father has cancer and my sister is going through a breakdown), I have been in touch with my old school. They will only go through an agency (that pays £94/day before tax and holiday fund) to employ me. They still pay my friend through the county. I spoke to the Assistant Head in charge of employment/cover/whatever you want to call it, and she said that she feels bad for my friend because she has 3 children. I am lost for words. The AH is my previous HoD who I had a lot of respect for and we were actually really good friends before she was promoted about four years ago.

I don't think there is anything I can do about this, but I wanted to get it off my chest and moan about it.

agathamorse and pepper5 like this.
  2. pink_reindeer

Oh, I have no children by the way. And no tax credits or child benefit or whatever it's called.
    But, I do have a mortgage.

agathamorse likes this.
  3. Deirds

Deirds Senior commenter

Sorry to hear this.

Ask your school if they would be willing to give you references.

Don't accept £98 a day.

Look for other options?

Good luck

4. pink_reindeer

I am signed up to three agencies. They all pay around £100. I am getting work most weeks. I'm just miffed that I have to work for 12 days when my friend works 6 for the same amount of money.

5. Deirds

Deirds Senior commenter

Difficult I know, but don't get too hung up on what your friend is earning. Is it worth losing a friendship over?

Work in different schools. Go home on the dot. Look on the bright side of being a Supply Teacher.

After 12 weeks in one school you can get paid to scale

agathamorse, pepper5 and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  6. pink_reindeer

Yeah, all this I know is true. Just having a grumble. I'm disappointed in the AH. I've not mentioned it to my friend by the way, so won't lose friendship.

agathamorse, pepper5 and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  7. pink_reindeer

It's not about my friend, personally. It's about the unfair treatment. Someone is getting paid more than me for doing the same work (she also leaves at 3 and does no marking, meetings etc) because she has children and I don't. It's discrimination, surely?!

8. schoolsout4summer

schoolsout4summer Star commenter

When reading through these threads - any threads, it is important to remember that the state of Primary Supply is completely different to Secondary.
    £100 a day on day2day Primary is the norm for the South West. As work is so scarce, I would not be surprised to see the rates fall or preference be given to NQTs.

agathamorse likes this.
  9. ellenlilymay

ellenlilymay New commenter

Perhaps they are taking advantage of your having been abroad as not current UK experience which is a nerve. I'm often put into cover supervisor roles at £80 despite being a qualified teacher. The school will pay as little as they can. Shop around for agencies. Once you've been working in the UK again for a bit longer you may have more negotiating power. Good luck - it's shark infested waters out there!

agathamorse likes this.
  10. pink_reindeer

This same school has contacted one of my agencies (£105/day) asking if I'll teach science there three days a week November - February. I'm assuming (I don't know yet because I haven't spoken to the school yet) they would expect me to attend meetings and any parents evenings that fall during those few weeks. I know they would expect planning, marking and any assessments that fall during that time too. Bearing in mind that my friend I mentioned earlier is getting her salary (albeit pro-rata) for doing day to day supply (and I know that she would just deliver lessons to the bare minimum) and another friend of mine who has just left to go to Australia until March (I think it's her job that I'd be getting) did September - Half term on her salary (£1800/month) for doing day to day supply.....
    Is this fair? Would you do it? I think it's humiliating. I'd be working as a teacher, for half the pay.

11. pink_reindeer

The same school that I worked at for 11 years - when I left, I was on UPS3. I don't expect to be paid that, of course. But £94/day is a bit insulting, don't you think?

agathamorse likes this.
  12. pink_reindeer

And of course, the 'contract' or 'deal' would be just shy of 12 weeks. Crafty.

agathamorse likes this.
  13. -LittleMiss-

-LittleMiss- New commenter

unfortunately thats the way it is now, not fair on the hard working teachers.

agathamorse likes this.
  14. Deirds

Deirds Senior commenter

I think you should avoid working at your old school. It’s making you feel really exploited.

On Supply you are starting at the bottom.

Once I had worked in a few schools and built up a reputation I was able to get a better salary.

Focus on the good parts of being Supply - out on time, flexibility.

Re-train for a new career.

If you can teach science you should be very much in demand by other schools.

If your old school is specifically requesting you specify your minimum daily rate. If they refuse - don’t go there at all. Call their bluff.

Good luck.

peakster, les25paul and agathamorse like this.
  15. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

The problem is that the school has had a change of policy and will now only use agency supply teachers, But it would be very unfair (and perhaps illegal) to "let go" any supplies they were employing themselves and then to employ them through an agency against their wishes. But this is an unusual case and I doubt it happens very often.

Don't bank on being paid to scale after 12 weeks either, there are a few loopholes the agency can use.

agathamorse likes this.
  16. MsHavisham

MsHavisham New commenter

Less than £100 sounds too low to me but perhaps it depends on where in the country you are. I am in the West Midlands, teach primary and have £120 per day on a day-to-day basis but £130 per day when longer term. Teaching secondary Science should earn you more.

agathamorse and blazer like this.
  17. Robfreeman

Robfreeman Occasional commenter

Im going to say this but 100 a day is nothing even if you work everyday of the year you could pull in just short of 20K that's not worth it and in primary they expect loads more than secondary.

agathamorse likes this.
  18. peakster

peakster Star commenter

This is not going to be a popular opinion but as someone who has been on both sides of the fence in the last few years it is based on my own experience.

Being on UPS3 at a school and starting out as a supply teacher are two completely different things. As a teacher on the upper pay scale you get used to certain things - you are part of the fabric of the school and you are a known "face".

Starting out as a new supply teacher (as I did in October 2013) after a number of years as a permanent teacher was the biggest wake-up call of my life. I had never intended to return to teaching - I thought I'd be looking after my folks and doing other jobs to be honest but felt able to return to teaching.

For a start you have no status - you are a totally unknown quantity. If you are the sort of person for whom status is really important you will find it very hard. It is like completely starting over and for a while I had no idea how to handle it. My policy was to accept everything and get "stuck-in" - my first assignment was at a special school - I was so far out of my depth I needed a periscope but it got me started. Gradually I became established at the agency I joined and I started getting regular days.

Other people will no-doubt disagree but I think (initially at least) you can't be too picky about money - it's more important to get "out there" and get earning. Gradually you should be able to get more money but you have to be working first.

agathamorse, les25paul and Robfreeman like this.
  19. Robfreeman

Robfreeman Occasional commenter

Totally agree with the above but i would like to add that a school gets what they pay for.

Saying that i have never turned down a day and always try my best and im willing to go anywhere however when a school expects the world and more thats when i start going wait a second. (says thee guy writing lessons and marking tests on a sunday)

agathamorse likes this.
  20. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Star commenter

A problem is that this has got extended by some schools and agencies to 'you have to earn the right to earn', meaning you have to show you can do the job before you are paid anything.

agathamorse likes this.