1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

An interesting data set...

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by anon261, Feb 5, 2011.

1. Hi all,
    Trying to think of a really interesting data set to keep Y8 enthused whilst teaching averages. Was thinking of looking at the average number of crowd at premier league football matches, but the data i've found doesn't quite fit the lesson.
    Do you think that looking at the average cost from the latest transfer window would be too difficult as the numbers are in the millions?
    hmmm, any other ideas welcome!
    Many thanks in anticipation.

2. Just found some more statistics on club website - might do goals scored and then comparison between two clubs. :)

3. Karvol

Karvol Occasional commenter

You could also look at box and whisker plots as a visual comparison between two or more sets of data. I think autograph allows you to do this quite easily ( at least I think it is autograph ).
    I would then also introduce the concept of standard deviation as another way of comparing the spread in data samples.

4. What is their ability level? is this for them to learn from or for show on a leson observation?
    Can be very very good, can be bad.
    Good, gets some kids engaged
    Bad, some don't like or understand football and have double trouble with the F and A columns
    Show goals scored and you get the debate on who is the best team and who supports who and can lead to behaviour issues
    Football, food of a fiver is my moto..most kids can dial into football, food or money but you have to ensure they can handle that scenario.
    School Census website MAY end up being a better starting point as there are some fantastic data sets there which are INCLUSIVE...try their site
    OR
    Use the olympic tables from 2008
    <table style="text-align:center;" id="sortable_table_id_0" class="wikitable sortable"><tr><th>Rank[​IMG] France
    <table style="text-align:center;" id="sortable_table_id_0" class="wikitable sortable"><tr><th>Rank[​IMG] France
    Why? look at the top two countries
    One has more medals, the other is top.
    This can lead to a nice debate and ultimately all kids leave the room on my side and understand statistics is a **************************** subject for those who cannot be clinical

5. And if you get really bored you can get those who cannot behave to print this page and cut out the 4 tables the TES website managed to post for me despite showing none on the preview. You can then go on to debate the use of edit functions on social media apps post 2010 and be all cross curricular and that

6. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

I project a picture from the Furbles website for 20 seconds (I tell them there will be a question but not what and cut and paste it) and then get them to guess how many there were.
    I can then split it into 2 data sets, boys vs girls and we use the averages to see who did better.
    If I put about about 30 odd Furbles I tend to get data in the 20s, 30s and 40s so it works well for a back to back stem & leaf diagram too.

7. lol - you make me laugh, Betamale!
    Actually, it's for my interview lesson, so need to do something engaging - and I only have 30 mins so don't think I'll be able to go too deep into it - though I do like the idea of box and whisker plots too!
    I've been told that they're middle level - so I'm going for a level 5, though I do have some differentiation in there too. ( I wanted to check this levelling but can't for the life of me find the page that tells you about expected levels on the National Strategies website again - I've completely lost it [​IMG] ).
    Was planning on a quick recap on how to find averages - they should have covered this in Y7 but I'm not sure how long it will have been since they used this last. Tried to ring the school but no-one got back to me, so will have to wait til Monday now. Ideally, I'd like to think that they should already remember how to do this so just move them on from the start - but you can't guarantee that they secured the knowledge first time around, hense the recap.
    The rest of the lesson is discussing in pairs the comparisons in the data. Really struggling to fit everything I want to do into 30 mins. Wish I had longer!! Fortunately I think they'll be more focussed on my teaching style, how i interact with pupils and ensuring that they make some progress.
    Thanks for the ideas though - I hope I might get to use some of these sometime in the near future!

8. Illumination

Illumination New commenter

9. Ok, a few tips
    (i) Assume nothing in terms of what they know and have ample material to back track if required
    (ii) Don't deliver a lesson that you can't replicate day in day out
    (iii) Don't try and make them like circus seals. Outstanding lessons see all pupils make progress. Don't go over board
    (iv) Get a copy of what makes an outstanding lesson and whilst its all bo**ox, utterly unrealistic and very often not suited to the teaching of maths, take some of the little subtle bits out and use them
    (v) Always ensure they are on taks and everybody has something to do and something more than they can do...its called differentiation, which to me is strange as differentiation to me means finding the rate of change in maths....but thats a little hard for the work shy student of today.
    (vi) Ask for any SEN/MENA/EAL kids to be pointed out when you arrive ad ask what provisions are made
    (vii) I utterly despise the idea but make sure pupils know what they are going to do, how to do it, what they need and at the end if they have...waste of learning time but observes love it. "Ahhh sack off the last 10 minutes of work, we are going to talk about what you have done??????" no thank you - give me a nother 10 minutes and 20 more examples so its concrete.
    Im babbling but dont try and wow people you will only set yourself up for burnout

10. is it all boys?

11. No it's mixed. I've def gone off the idea of doing football. The more I think about it, the more it's not right for this lesson. I just need a decent data set that fits my lesson plan. Thinking of making one up myself. I've seen two really good ones - the first on BBC bitesize and the second on MEP but I don't want to use these for an interview lesson, although I may take something from MEP as an extention activity, just in case.
    Gosh it seems so difficult to find the right maths to go with this lesson! I'm really pleased with the lesson I've planned, but I just need some data to go with it! :-s

12. You could base it on something the kids produce, such as distance flown by their paper aeroplanes or time taken for their paper helicopter to land. I've done the contents of a bag of sweets (they have to describe/predict the contents of mine, given a survey of the ones they've opened). Finally, an ITT student of mine did a great lesson on the nutritional content of adult breakfast cereals vs children's.

13. Colleen_Young

Colleen_Young Occasional commenter

Betamale mentioned Census at School which is excellent, there is also Experiments at School which has data you can use.
    (Not for an interview lesson I know, but may be of general interest, it is also possible to upload your own data).

14. Although this is a lovely idea, I can't help thinking that this would take up vital teaching time!
    This is perfect - Thank you - I'll use this for my task.
    I have also decided on local vs capital weather as my modelling data set. It works really well for the objectives that I'm trying to achieve!
    Thank you to everyone - you've given me so many wonderful ideas!
    Thanks again
    [​IMG]

15. DM

DM New commenter

I think you should probably just get on with shaping that into a lesson now gilbert.

16. Excellent advice - I'm already there! Job done! Now I just need to teach it! [​IMG]

17. Do realise that if you 'get the job you ill have to deliver 20+ lessons a week as a full time teacher.
    Make it a representation of your true ability at a level you can sustain

18. I fully agree. I was a little concerned that, following all of the fantastic ideas on this forum, my investigation task was, in comparison, a little boring - but like you say, this interview needs to be a hint of what I would be like day in and day out.
    I will be honest - this lesson has taken me a while to construct, and I've already had this same conversation with someone else - but I've been told that it will get easier to plan as I get back into it again! I'm willing to put in 100% for this job - it will be the start of a career that i've waited a long time for - and IF i get it, i fully intend to give it my all.
    And, if I don't get it, i'll wait until I get a job - and then I'll give that one my all!! [​IMG]

19. Colleen_Young

Colleen_Young Occasional commenter

Good luck with it Gilbert - hope it goes really well.

20. I wouldn't aim for the everyday. As an interviewer I'd expect to see something you'd taken extra care and time over planning and preparing. I'd be watching to see what your teaching style is, your approach with the students, how you react to student questions etc.

All the best!