1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

An interesting article. Have your experiences been similar?

Discussion in 'Education news' started by Jonfkirk, Apr 25, 2020.

1. Jonfkirk

Jonfkirk New commenter

2. bessiesmith2

bessiesmith2 New commenter

Thanks. It was interesting - and so very 'Guardian'! I haven't done any 'zoom' or similar lessons so it feels very much more hands-off to me as a teacher. I send resources out into the universe and then get some completed and returned, some responses with questions and then other students I hear nothing from at all - perhaps due to no internet or laptop - or maybe because they can't be bothered.

As a parent I'm still trying to work out the balance between freedom and structure - much more so than usual without school and all the extra-curricular clubs that normally provide so much structure. I expect it will be quite an influential chapter of our children's childhood - hopefully not too negative.

a1976, agathamorse and -Maximilian- like this.
  3. Jonntyboy

Jonntyboy Established commenter

No real comparison with here I don't think - the Italian school system is chaotic at best, and teaching is very varied. With no real overwatch, the outcomes for kids depend on their teachers being inspirational (some are) or rubbish (sadly, many are). We are more structured - at my school there has been a lot of work put into getting the kids doing useful things.

It is an interesting article, but goes on a bit! As I don't often see The Guardian, it was good of you to link.

I'm off in now - I'm on the rota this afternoon from 1pm. I think we have fewer than a dozen kids in at the moment.