1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

An inspector calls essays

Discussion in 'English' started by lizfee, May 1, 2012.

1. Hiall,
    I hope someone can help. I have a fairly bright C/D borderline yr 11 class and we are revising AIC..they could talk for hours on end about the play in great depth and with original and perceptive ideas..but when I gave them a practice timed exam Q earlier they all folded and regressed...writing paragraphs that included the dreaded "I know this because" and very little else..bascially ive just marked 30 summarioes of the play..I've shown them model paragraphs and got them to improve D grade to C grades,looked at exemplars,made planning notes using the mark scheme..but does anyone have ANY more advice on how on earth to help them? I feel flummoxed and upset :(
    thanks in advance
    Liz x

2. Hiall,
    I hope someone can help. I have a fairly bright C/D borderline yr 11 class and we are revising AIC..they could talk for hours on end about the play in great depth and with original and perceptive ideas..but when I gave them a practice timed exam Q earlier they all folded and regressed...writing paragraphs that included the dreaded "I know this because" and very little else..bascially ive just marked 30 summarioes of the play..I've shown them model paragraphs and got them to improve D grade to C grades,looked at exemplars,made planning notes using the mark scheme..but does anyone have ANY more advice on how on earth to help them? I feel flummoxed and upset :(
    thanks in advance
    Liz x

3. sleepyhead

sleepyhead New commenter

I give mine a framework which we always follow - for the old LIT poetry comparison it went:
    P1 C P2 C P3 C P4
    and then each poem went
    Plot
    Words
    Layout
    within that. It worked really well for my D-G group last year (some of them got Cs :)!)
    You could devise something similar and then it's just of case of making it stick!

4. gloucesterroad

gloucesterroad New commenter

I always try to give my middle ability students a checklist for each paragraph to write at the top of their exam answer. For whole text character questions, it would run something like this
    • point to describe character
    • quotation
    • explanation
    • word-level
    • link to point/question
    Then we just practice going back through essays checking and ticking that they have done it in each paragraph. It has worked really well in CA conditions, but we'll see in an exam. My middle Y10 will be sitting an OMAM mock this afternoon...

5. thanks..I'm hoping with loads of practice they'll be ok... :(