1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

An illustrious prize* **...

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Jonntyboy, Sep 21, 2020.

1. Jonntyboy

Jonntyboy Lead commenter

2. Symingtons

Symingtons Occasional commenter

It may have been used as described in the article you link to, but that isn't the original derivation and specifically refers to the US usage.

So it's still a phrase I have no problem using.

racroesus and Jonntyboy like this.
  3. Jonntyboy

Jonntyboy Lead commenter

Wow, thanks, @Symingtons . Happy to learn even more on here - please tell us later - but thanks for not giving the game away yet. :cool::cool:

4. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

Thought this was about that dire quiz show.

5. hhhh

hhhh Star commenter

As with many of the banned phrases, there's debate about its origins-as with morris dancers, who argue that their painting isn't racist because they're not imitating or mocking Black people. Scottish friends tell me their Sikh and Hindu friends are starting to wearTartan, on occasion, by having specific weaves made-many think that's quite a nice thing; one man said he's embracing the culture of the place he lives, while honouring his ancestors. Some call that cultural appropriation, others think it's nice to show our common humanity and celebrate and respect different aspects of cultures.
    No, that's not about language, but you see the parallels-what offends one person will not be something that offends another.

6. Katzenjammer

Katzenjammer Senior commenter

The scholarship in the etymology of all the phrases listed in the article is at best contested, and at worst very dubious indeed, especially the one referencing theatre and the one referencing tersichorean confectionery. I have even found alternative [opposite] meanings for these phrases. Folk etymology of this kind has a long and chequered history - witness the furore years ago over "niggardly", "nitty-gritty" and "Uncle Goober". You can have more fun finding out about those.