1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

An ideal solution for the Brexit

Discussion in 'Personal' started by afterdark, Feb 16, 2019.

1. afterdark

afterdark Lead commenter

I think everyone who voted remain should have the option of EU passport and continued membership of the EU.

Those that voted leave should not.

That way everyone gets what they voted for.

And everyone who was too young vote can have the choice at 18 or 21 perhaps.

2. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

That's a thought. If we all signed up, the annual fee pro rata would be only around £5100 per person.
    Plus, of course, the cost of border control around each of our homes.

So they get the free trade deal and don't pay anything for free trade, while us remainers have to pay £5100 for our "free" trade.

No thanks. :eek::eek::eek:

They could be asked if they want free trade with the EU for nothing (like Canada) or free trade with the EU for £5100 a year. I wonder which they would choose. ;)

Last edited: Feb 16, 2019
    needabreak and nomad like this.
  3. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

In this ideal solution, will shops be in the EU or outside?

nomad likes this.
  4. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

Maybe suddenly we'd find many more than 16.8 million people claiming to have voted remain.

5. afterdark

afterdark Lead commenter

Based upon what?

6. afterdark

afterdark Lead commenter

Shops in the EU means shops in the EU.

7. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

So if the shops are in the EU and leavers are not in the EU, they will be able to claim back all the VAT.
    I think you need to give this some more thought.

nomad likes this.
  8. florian gassmann

Based upon the amount the UK pays the EU. That's before the rebate, but the UK is almost certain to lose the rebate if it tries to renegotiate its membership.

racroesus and nomad like this.
  9. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

I've got a better idea. Just accept it was a bad idea and knock Brexit on the head.

10. nomad

nomad Star commenter

I've got a better idea. Just accept it.

blazer likes this.
  11. afterdark

afterdark Lead commenter

That is an assumption. The EU might be open to the idea of partial membership.

They are open to cancellation of Brexit, after all.

12. burajda

burajda Star commenter

Yes. Accept its a bad idea, keep calm and carry on.

13. burajda

burajda Star commenter

I liked Sarkozy's (I think it was him) idea of a europe of concentric circles. Those who wanted most integration at the core and the others in orbit around it on a variety of membership arrangements. One size fits all doesnt work for 28.

border_walker likes this.
  14. Duke of York

I wouldn't have got far in life if I'd just accepted whatever BS I'd been given. Membership of the EU isn't a religion with me. I genuinely don't have a problem with leaving if the case for doing so stacks up and I'm shown in clear terms what the benefits are. Quite frankly, so far all the protagonists for leaving have failed to come up with any evidence whatsoever that there is any benefit and I need to countenance this against all the downsides, which are potentially many.

David Davis promised that he'd have 40 trade deals in place, the minute after we left the EU. Exactly how many have been secured after all the time since; and with which countries are they? Are there any that are close enough to Britain to be both viable and ensure a seamless transition?

I think it's time that everyone accepts they were sold a pup by a bunch of BS artists and treat Brexit in the same way you would if a dodgy salesman had sold us a secondhand motor that leaked oil, had an engine that knocked like the clappers and left a trail of smoke in its wake.

Would you just accept that, or be back on their case demanding your money back?

Alice K, dleaf12 and eljefeb90 like this.
  15. florian gassmann

We haven't left yet, so there is no "time since" leaving. Nevertheless, the following deals have already been completed prior to leaving, according to the BBC:

Switzerland (and duplicated by Liechtenstein)
    E&S Africa (Comoros, Madagascar, Mauritius, the Seychelles, Zambia, Zimbabwe)
    Chile
    Faroe Islands
    Israel is agreed in principle and just awaits signature
    The UK has also signed agreements with the USA, Australia and New Zealand. The first of these benefits the pharmaceutical industry while the other two replicate all aspects of the current EU agreements when it comes to recognising product standards, such as the labelling and certifying of wine.

Quite a few to go, but there is likely to be almost two more years yet, since the UK cannot benefit from its own trade agreements until the end of the transition, which will not be until December 2020 at the earliest.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2019
  16. Duke of York

I note that none of these are on our doorstep like the EU is.

les25paul likes this.
  17. florian gassmann

The EU is the subject of the free trade deal discussions due to begin in six weeks. The EU made it clear from the outset that discussions could not begin while the UK is still a member, as it could not conduct negotiations with itself. They have already stated that the proposed agreement will include a comprehensive free trade area as well as co-operation on many other fronts.

18. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

As well as having to join the Euro? Then there is the problem that will be Nord Stream 2.

19. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

I'm not convinced there will be a significant amount of trade between us and these countries.

If so I would be interested to know what it will be.

20. florian gassmann

Wiki and the ONS are your friends: there is already a lively trade with all these countries. Just as a taster our total trade with Switzerland is a little over £31 billion a year, which is more than our trade with Eire, Italy, Spain, Norway, Hong Kong or Poland.

Our biggest trading partners, though, are the USA, China and Germany. Israel is only around £2 billion, and I think our trade with Chile (mostly in Merlot as far as imports to the UK are concerned) is closer to £1.8 billion, but growing at 11% a year.

les25paul likes this.