1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

An hour a week from Years 9-11

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by LoveIT, Jan 21, 2011.

1. Hi all
    Ok, we currently have an hour every other week in Year 9 where we teach general National Strategy units to get students their level. We then have an hour a week in years 10 and 11 over which we teach GCSE Short Course (just started the new OCR one).
    It's looking likely that our Year 9 allocation is going to be increased to an hour a week from next year so I'm planning what to teach.
    Do we expand the breadth of content in Year 9 as it is to give a more 'accurate' level? Or start teaching another qualification earlier? I'd like to teach the full GCSE and start in Year 9, but it's 120-140 GLH and we'll only have around 105... A bit too tight I think.
    Seeing as we've just brought it in, I don't want to scrap the OCR GCSE Short Course completely - we've put a lot into creating resoruces!
    So advice/ideas please... [​IMG]

2. Hi all
    Ok, we currently have an hour every other week in Year 9 where we teach general National Strategy units to get students their level. We then have an hour a week in years 10 and 11 over which we teach GCSE Short Course (just started the new OCR one).
    It's looking likely that our Year 9 allocation is going to be increased to an hour a week from next year so I'm planning what to teach.
    Do we expand the breadth of content in Year 9 as it is to give a more 'accurate' level? Or start teaching another qualification earlier? I'd like to teach the full GCSE and start in Year 9, but it's 120-140 GLH and we'll only have around 105... A bit too tight I think.
    Seeing as we've just brought it in, I don't want to scrap the OCR GCSE Short Course completely - we've put a lot into creating resoruces!
    So advice/ideas please... [​IMG]

3. tonyuk

tonyuk Occasional commenter

I would go for it in 9 we are doing FS with them for a grounding prior to nationals/creative Imedia. As for levelling that shakes out by working backward i.e. if a pupil get a level 5 then at GCSE level * so working backwards if they get a grade B at the end of year 9 then this can be tracked back to a level!
    Be a very brave OFSTED inspector who said that regression on GCSE into KS3 Level did not fit as they do on progression so should on regression!