1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

An expensive sport

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Duke of York, Jan 28, 2020.

1. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cambridgeshire-51283097

"A group of suspected hare coursers had to swim to safety after falling foul of a flood-prone stretch of road.

Officers patrolling The Fens in Cambridgeshire came across two abandoned cars partially submerged at the A1101 Welney Wash Road.

A Cambridgeshire Police spokeswoman said they were called to "reports of a group of people walking away from submerged vehicles in Welney wash".

The occupants had left the scene by the time police arrived, and police said the vehicles would be recovered once the water subsided.

"Cambridgeshire's flat and rural landscape can make it a popular area for hare coursing," according to force's rural crime team.

The illegal practice involves using dogs to kill hares."

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Is this an example of God's mysterious ways?

bombaysapphire and abwdSTEM like this.
  2. abwdSTEM

abwdSTEM Occasional commenter

I bet they are hopping mad. :D

Dragonlady30, Stiltskin and colpee like this.
  3. colpee

colpee Star commenter

Someone has had a bad hare day!

4. Jude Fawley

Jude Fawley Star commenter

I used to go that way when I was teaching in Wisbech (now don't start). I'd drive from Waterbeach down the A10 and then turn left at Welney and over the flood plain. Just prior to the turn is a foldable road sign to let you know if the road is flooded. If the road is flooded someone folds down the sign. If it is flooded, you carry on further down the A10.

After a few rushed journeys due to the detour, I started to phone the only place that knew if the road was flooded. I used to phone the village stores and post office at 6.30 a.m.

I bet now you could find out via the internet if they've put a camera up by the flood plain

There's a flood warning sign just up the road from here and the village has been cut off a couple of times this year already.

5. bevdex

bevdex Star commenter

Don't get me started about expensive sports! All our children played lacrosse. The youngest played for England at under nineteen and men's level. For his under nineteen world championships we had to fund his travel to Europe and buy his England playing kit.

primarycat likes this.
  6. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

Hare coursing is what criminals do with their leisure time, I wouldn't be surprised if the vehicles weren't stolen, uninsured or otherwise dodgy.

harsh-but-fair likes this.
  7. colpee

colpee Star commenter

Some sports are more affordable for that

Screenshot_20200128-201948-01.jpeg

primarycat likes this.
  8. TheOracleAtDelphi

TheOracleAtDelphi Established commenter

It's particularly despicable if they were intending to go hare coursing as WWT Welney is very close by plus various other protected habitats.

It feels like Welney has been flooded continuously since November, although I'm sure there has been the odd week when it hasn't been. It seems like they have to put the signs back up again as soon as they've taken them down. It must be bad at the moment though 'cos they are using the land at WWT Welney for water holding to the extent that you can only access the main hide at the moment.

P.S. Didn't realise you were a Fenlander, Jude :)

9. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

Good.

cissy3 and rosievoice like this.
  10. Jude Fawley

Jude Fawley Star commenter

I'm not a Fenlander. I'm a Lancashire man from East Lancashire, but I know the Fens well from my time living in Peterborough and South Cambridgeshire.

I used to drive all over the fens and worked out there teaching in various locations.

I lived out at Littleport for a while and used to cycle around the villages near to Ely and Downham Market.

I love it out there and then of course you hit the Norfolk coast.

One of the most interesting times was when I returned from university on the first Christmas break having studied Graham Swift's novel 'Waterland' and ended up working out on the fens in the holiday.

Long story short: I knew a woman who bought up crates of frozen spuds from McCain's and reverse fed them through an adapted potato grader adding a frosting of fenland peat, bagging them up and selling them. I also worked at McCain's in the freezers at minus 23c. You were only allowed to stay inside for twenty minutes at a time.

I know most of the drains like Ramsey Forty Foot and Ten Mile Bank.

11. sadscientist

sadscientist Senior commenter

No sympathy for the people involved here. But dog pounds and rescue organisations are full of the dogs - mostly greyhound x saluki lurcher types - that are indiscriminately bred, then lost or abandoned through illegal hare coursing. I hope any animals involved here were recovered to safety somewhere.

cissy3 likes this.
  12. artboyusa

artboyusa Star commenter

Just be glad they didn't decide that they liked riding horses. ££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££

13. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

Quite possibly, but one thing I'm sure of is that if they are criminals, the police will also suspect it and be looking for forensic evidence that can be gathered from the vehicles that might be able to link the vehicle occupants to crimes they commited.