1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

An expedition to a third world country

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lilachardy, Apr 14, 2012.

1. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

Have you tried Operation Wallacea?

2. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

Around £2000 each.

3. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

The fundraising is part of the experience, surely?
    It is in my school.

4. Thank you for the name. I'm completely new to this so I appreciate the recommendation.

5. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

Try Wales, some parts are like Third World, but that is also true of some parts of any bit of the UK.

6. Andy_91

Andy_91 New commenter

The "Third World" gets a lot of traffic from well-wishers who breeze in for two weeks, build something and breeze out again.
    Often the work done is not socially, politically or environmentally sustainable - examples include housing with inadequate infrastructure support, bore-holes for safe water that get taken over by gangs who charge extortionate rates, wells dug without the health and hygiene training needed to keep them secure - the list is endless.
    Many of the charities and NGOs involved are viewed with contempt by the inhabitants, who consider such projects are just salves for wet-liberal western consciences - a little bit of do-gooding for young students before settling down to a career and exploitation as before.
    Not to mention the carbon involved in the jaunt.
    Far from being "good" expeditions of this sort are almost wholly misconceived and bad.

7. Have you had a look at Schools Worldwide?

8. I have a contact in The Gambia who runs projects in schools - Friends of Gambian Schools is the charity. Every year a group of teacher training students come out to do a project eg painting classrooms. My sister's school takes a group of 6th Formers every year. I can find out more if you like and PM you some details.

9. I agree with you, Andy. It's really important that the projects have a lasting significance for the local community. My contact in The Gambia can ensure that.

10. paulie86

paulie86 New commenter

Snap I was going to suggest Gambia too. Thomas Cook do package holidays to the small tourist region, but drive 30 mins out and there is real poverty more so on the North Bank of the river. I have been out there myself a number of times and my last school has links with a village, we raised money and bought verious things such as mosquito nets, carts and even 3 donkeys. I have seen them be given directly to the villagers. We do this through Jackie who runs Tilly's Tours. She also runs the Glove Project. She has had nummerous school groups over to do various projects in Cheesay. http://www.gloveproject.org/
    As she has worked with this village for a number of years she can ensure sustainability in it.

11. As The Gambia is such a small country, it really feels as if you can make a difference. Much more personal, somehow. The Glove Project looks good. I've seen adverts for Tilly's Tours! We've been about 8 times and have noticed a marked improvement of infrastructure, new buildings etc. However, as you point out, there is real poverty away from the tourist areas. We visited one village where we were invited to attend a children's clinic. We were impressed that children were given the same inoculations as you would expect in UK and records were meticulously kept, albeit on paper. Soil is fertile so no-one should go hungry especially as the President has been encouraging a 'Back to the Land' movement and the growing of rice instead of importing. Girls are encouraged to go to school - at one time their fees were half those of boys - because if you educate a mother, you educate a family. Sorry, going on a bit!

12. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

I agree with Andy, too!

Dunteachin, hoping to make up after the Jubilee fracas.

13. Me too. I was going to admit to being one of those middled aged/classed etc (can't remember the other insult!) But found I could actually find myself in agreement with him on other threads Then I realised he is probably nearer my age than I thought. I really thought he was about 30.

14. Outlook Expeditions are good, ethical and repeatedly send groups to the same projects so that major works can be developed and completed. We paid approx £2500 but the majority was was raised by the pupils themselves which Outlook can help with. Whilst Andy's comments are true in some instances if you do your homework you will be able to find projects that are well-received and successful, and do make a real difference.

15. I'm always faintly uneasy with fundraising for "charity" which ends up being fundraising for pupils to go off on jaunt somewhere and only a fraction of the money raised actually goes towards the project in question. Having said that, I know such things can have a tremendous positive impact on pupils so I would encourage it from that point of view.

16. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

My daughter did a trip with Operation Wallacea a few years ago. It really did change her life. The insights into the working lives of the family she stayed with will always be with her.
    It was her first taste of personal hardship and challenge too; large and small, through learning how to use a very basic toilet on board a converted slave ship; sleeping in hammocks in the rainforest; diving in the sea in one of the most species-rich environments that remain in the world; planting cashew nuts alongside barefoot farmers; drinking coconut water straight from the fruit; going up into the crown of the rainforest by climbing enormous trees; helping out in a village school; eating a basic rice-based diet for a fortnight; waking up to find giant lizards on the porch and cockroaches on the ceiling; measuring bats; getting bitten by a big spider; supporting data collection for ecological monitoring research projects and hundreds of other experiences crammed into the trip.
    She still talks about it now. Seeing such a different place and people has given her ideas about how she wants to get involved practically and politically in the future.
    The local people do get some benefits from being hosts to the centre, to the extent that it is resented by other nearby villages who haven't been as fortunate.
    For the teachers involved, it must have been an enormous amount of extra work and stress and we are forever grateful to them for making it happen.

17. At Street Child of SIerra Leone we ensure 90% of funds given to us are spent in country on the projects we work on.

For UK schools we offer a partnership programme - fundraising to help a remote community in Sierra Leone to build their FIRST EVER school. The best part of it is that we are able to show you exactly where your money is being spent. The school is partnered with a specific community and we can give regular updates.

We are also able to offer 6th formers the opportunity to go out to Sierra Leone, as well as teachers who may be interested in teacher training. For any keen runners out there you should definitely find out about the Sierra Leone Marathon (http://www.kilnsierraleonemarathon.com/) - a great opportunity to fundraise, run and visit the projects!!!

Lots of opportunities to get involved in - feel free to contact me for free school assemblies or other info on Street Child - helen@street-child.co.uk